Make a handcrafted journal, complete in its own box. Use it to capture precious memories of a physical journey, maybe your latest holiday. Or choose to capture a more abstract journey... many artists use a journal to record techniques, plans, ideas and samples. Life is a journey, and we all need a map - of where we're going or of where we've been.
On a strictly practical note, memento such as photos, ticket stubs, letters, postcards, maps, brochures, confetti, pressed flowers, embroidery samples, and found objects, are evocative, but can be hard to contain and display.
Protect and celebrate your precious memories in a handcrafted, boxed journal. Guest Tutor Barb Adams will show you how, and inspire you to present your story in a beautiful, personal and memorable way. These wonderful three days will include:
- Learning how to make your concertina journal and prepare your hard cover with a window.
- Many ideas for including your personal memorabilia. Envelopes, small books and pockets. (These may be filled with your memories or remain blank for a future journey.)
- Making a box or slip case to house your book.
- Other bindings and ideas will be taught during the 3 days as required.
Dates: Class runs over three days: 10am to 4pm on Sat 22 & Sun 23 April, and Sat 6 May. The first two days you will work on your journal. On the third day you will make a decorated box to protect and 'frame' your journal.
Guest Tutor: Barb Adams is a reknowned local paper artist. Barb's artwork is a central joy in her life. She delights in sharing her work with others by teaching workshops,and helping you to discover your creative skills.
Materials: Purchase additional materials from the tutor, for approx. $10-15.
Class runs over three days: 10am to 4pm on Sat 22 & Sun 23 April, and Sat 6 May. The first two days you will work on your journal. On the third day you will make a decorated box to protect and 'frame' your journal.
- Make a concertina journal with a hard cover & a window
- Make a box or slip case to house your book
- Ideas for including personal memorabilia or art samples (book may be blank for a future journey), making envelopes and pockets
- A beautiful journal with stitched pockets and envelopes to contain memories, samples or dreams, and custom box to house your book.
- Ruler, scissors, craft knife, glue stick, double sided tape, needle , threads (may be bought at Opendrawer), cutting mat, an awl if you have one.
- A notebook and pen for notes & ideas
- Paper & ribbon for crafting your book (details on registration)
Comfortable clothing for crafting. There will be glueing & cutting. There may be paint.
Adults 15 years and older who want to make a custom concertina journal with storage box.
Vendor sincce 2015
Be enticed by the colour and texture of Opendrawer. Founded by Robyn Steel-Stickland (& co.) in 2010, we've been described as edgy, arty, elegant, unique and quirky. Part gallery shop for handmade artist product from all around Australia. Part vintage and textile art supply wonderland. Part workshop for people of all skill levels. All creativity hub.
At Opendrawer, you'll learn skills, techniques and ideas that encourage you to find your own creativity.
You can enrol in courses or workshops in felt, creativity, sewing, embroidery, book making, crochet, dyeing, drawing, jewellery making, paper sculpture, art & design, mixed media, and more.
We're open to expressions of interest, so let us know if there's something you want to learn.
If for any reason you decide that the workshop you have done or are doing does not suit you, then that is a personal decision and no refund will be given.
If Opendrawer cancels a workshop, you will be given a full refunds or can choose a replacement workshop to the same value as the workshop being cancelled. You will be notified at least 2 days before the due date of the workshop if cancellation is necessary due to insufficient enrolments.
A $10 admin fee applies to all changes of date/workshop bookings.
Cancellations made within two weeks of the booked workshop will forfeit 50% of the advertised fee - or you may find a replacement student.
Cancellations made within 24 hours of the workshop will forfeit the full advertised fee - or you may find a replacement student.
If for any reason you decide that the workshop you have done or are doing does not suit your, then that is a personal decision and no refund will be given.
A minimum of five people are required for a workshop to run. Opendrawer reserves the right to cancel a workshop if the minimum booking is not achieved. Full refunds will be given or a replacement workshop offered to the same value as the workshop being cancelled. You will be notified at least 2 days before the due date of the workshop if cancellation is deemed necessary.Unfortunately, due to the workshop timetable no makeup classes are avaiable.