Tutor: Robyn Steel-Stickland
The aim of these tastes of Art Play is to introduce you to the idea of giving yourself permission and time to play and expand your creativity.
These classes have come from ideas I have developed for the Art Play Course. They are suitable as one day stand alone classes and give you a taste without the depth that comes from regular commitment and coming to know your teacher and fellow students. Even so, you will need to take a small leap of faith and be prepared to play, as you enter this world where there will be random acts of creativity, and you’ll be the one making them.
In this class we will explore the Japanese aesthetic of wabi-sabi through play with art materials, objects from nature and Haiku poetry, and along the way find beauty in the ordinary.
Requirements: Most materials are included. To get the most from this class gather and bring the following-
- Find an item at home that fits with the idea that ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’
- Find an item at home that is very special to you but is showing ‘signs of wear’
- Find a flower or part of a flowering plant (or similar) that is just ‘past its best’
- A collection of small to medium rusty bits (ground finds are excellent)
- A box or teabags that could produce interesting colour
- Your journal (or get one)
- A writing implement, a black fine-liner, a drawing pencil
Saturday 9 April, 10am-4pm.
- Kick start your creativity in this one day 'taster' class.
- Explore the Japanese concept of 'wabi sabi' - the perfection of imperfection.
- Activities may include stitch, paint, writing paper craft & found objects. No experience is necessary.
- You will take home two or more pieces you crafted in class, and a more playful & creative mindset.
- You will be sent a list found objects or sentimental items from home to bring to inspire your artwork in class.
Comfortable clothes for crafting & possibly messy play. We have air-conditioning.
Adults 15 years and older who want to uncover or explore their creativity.
Vendor sincce 2015
Be enticed by the colour and texture of Opendrawer. Founded by Robyn Steel-Stickland (& co.) in 2010, we've been described as edgy, arty, elegant, unique and quirky. Part gallery shop for handmade artist product from all around Australia. Part vintage and textile art supply wonderland. Part workshop for people of all skill levels. All creativity hub.
At Opendrawer, you'll learn skills, techniques and ideas that encourage you to find your own creativity.
You can enrol in courses or workshops in felt, creativity, sewing, embroidery, book making, crochet, dyeing, drawing, jewellery making, paper sculpture, art & design, mixed media, and more.
We're open to expressions of interest, so let us know if there's something you want to learn.
If for any reason you decide that the workshop you have done or are doing does not suit you, then that is a personal decision and no refund will be given.
If Opendrawer cancels a workshop, you will be given a full refunds or can choose a replacement workshop to the same value as the workshop being cancelled. You will be notified at least 2 days before the due date of the workshop if cancellation is necessary due to insufficient enrolments.
A $10 admin fee applies to all changes of date/workshop bookings.
Cancellations made within two weeks of the booked workshop will forfeit 50% of the advertised fee - or you may find a replacement student.
Cancellations made within 24 hours of the workshop will forfeit the full advertised fee - or you may find a replacement student.
If for any reason you decide that the workshop you have done or are doing does not suit your, then that is a personal decision and no refund will be given.
A minimum of five people are required for a workshop to run. Opendrawer reserves the right to cancel a workshop if the minimum booking is not achieved. Full refunds will be given or a replacement workshop offered to the same value as the workshop being cancelled. You will be notified at least 2 days before the due date of the workshop if cancellation is deemed necessary.Unfortunately, due to the workshop timetable no makeup classes are avaiable.