This workshop will run on 2 consecutive Saturdays.
Learn the art of making handmade ceramic jewellery in a 2 week intensive. You will learn the processes of crafting delicate pieces of clay using hand building and decorative techniques into one of a kind, ornate charms.
- Introduction to the studio
- Introduction to my practice with handmade earrings and pendants also with examples of ceramic, handmade jewellery
- introduction to clay, underglazes and the tools we will be using
- demo on slab building and preparing your clay for making shapes
- Participants design shapes and cut stencils out of paper
- Demo on cutting out shapes and some joining techniques
- Participants cut shapes and add holes
- Clean and pack up.
- Introduction to decorating techniques
- Demo on decorating
- Participants decorate their work
- Work is prepared for a bisque firing
- Clean and pack up
Aprons will be provided. Please bring a towel and wear comfortable clothes that get dirty.
Pieces can be collected 3 -4 week after the course finishes.
No prior experience needed. Perfect for beginners.
2 x 4.5hour sessions
After completing the course, participants will have the option to continue making work in our self-guided open studio sessions and will have the option to get their work fired in our kilns.
This course will be facilitated by Emily Hassel.
Emily is a Melbourne based ceramicist whose work involves detailed illustration depicting female archetypes in an elemental universe. Emily is an experienced potter who has been working with clay obsessively for the past 4 years. She currently works on the wheel and also uses hand-building techniques to create vases, cups, and other forms. Emily sells her work online, at markets and will be exhibiting her work soon For images click here
- Basic Ceramic theory, decorating with glazes, how to stain clay
- Finished pieces of jewellery
Vendor since 2018
The Artful Dodgers Studios is an innovative and creative space for young people aged 15-27. Participants can work in a fully equipped art and music studio with experienced artists and musicians to develop creative skills, connect with other artists and get involved in public projects, gigs and exhibitions.
We are a not-for-profit program.