Foraged & Found Natural Dyeing
There are many colours waiting to be unlocked from our kitchen scraps and garden, join Roz from Be Kind Textiles to learn simple techniques that you can utilise to dye your own fabric and fibres even if you don’t have much space! We will run through the minimal equipment you need, safety, mordanting, colour fastness, fibre care and dye sources. We will make our own mini natural indigo vat and also learn some Shibori resist dyeing methods to pattern your fabric! What you will get: Information sheet, your own naturally dyed paper, fabric & yarn samples. A solar dye jar to take home with leftover dyestuffs.
Optional: Bring a small amount (100g) of new or second-hand yarn or fabric (natural fibres only) that you want to dye or re-dye, plus any old Med-Lrg glass jar in case we have left over dye materials.
- How to harvest colours to dye fibres from your kitchen scraps and garden
- Mordanting techniques and safety
- About indigo dyeing at home
- Fabric, fibre and paper samples that you have naturally dyed during the class
- A jar of dye materials to take home
- Afternoon tea
- Optional: Bring a small amount (100g) of new or second-hand yarn or fabric (natural fibres only) that you want to dye or re-dye, plus any old Med-Lrg glass jar with a lid (if you have any).
- Optional: A light lunch, there are cafes walking distance during the break (afternoon tea is provided)
Casual (Warning: this might get messy)
Open to everyone interested!
Vendor since 2018
Roz is an advocate for using art and craft as therapy, using creative practice as a tool to help her manage her own mental health struggles. She believes a revival in craft and hand-making is important for our community and our environmental health and is keen to spread the word.
For the past 3 years, Roz has been teaching textile workshops around Victoria and interstate, sharing her lifelong love of craft, with classes that provide a focus on mindfulness and sustainability.
The Be Kind Textiles studio, situated at 457 St Georges Rd Thornbury, is a combined retail and workshop space that offers a delightful mix of sustainable craft supplies, handmade accessories & homewares, with a sprinkle of vintage treasures throughout.
The studio space is equipped with an industrial sewing machine, overlocker, large table space, iron, tea & coffee facilities and is available for long-term or short-term hire. The studio is also a great meeting place for your craft or social group, day or night, get in touch to check availability.