Learn your brush strokes from one of Australia’s most experienced letterers!
Your Amazing Teacher
Barbara studied show card and ticket writing in 1967 and hasn’t put down her brushes since. That's 47 years of lettering experience!
Barbara produced thousands of ticket cards for Myer Melbourne, Grace Bros. and other retail outlets in Sydney. She started her own showcard, ticket writing and screen printing studio producing retail and promotional signage. She’s also a seasoned teacher, having taught ticket writing and calligraphy classes both privately and through TAFE NSW.
As NSW President and National Coordinator of the Australian Sign and Graphics Association during the years of 2001 - 2007, Barbara helped to revive the membership which included regional meetings and lobbied educational institutions for industry standards.
Barbara’s enthusiasm for lettering is contagious! She is thrilled to hear that lettering is making a huge comeback in the design scene. and wants to pass on her years of experience to fellow lettering nerds and type aficionados.
She’s been a great friend and mentor, and I’m excited to be sharing her skills with all of you.
Who is this for?
- Anyone and everyone who has an interest in lettering! We’ll be starting with the basics so we can achieve a good understanding of brush lettering techniques. Complete beginners welcome. No experience necessary!
- More experienced letterers wanting to learn new styles and techniques for their commercial and personal work such as logos, signage and typographic art pieces.
2-Day Workshop Time: 10am-4pm
- You’ll learn the basic strokes needed to gain control of the brushes to create various letter widths as well as working with the paint consistency and flow.
- Learn about brush types: round, square and pointed; and which are suited to the different lettering styles such as Casual and Script. & See inspiring demonstrations of her master brush skills.
- Barbara will assist everyone to make sure they feel comfortable holding and manipulating the various brush sizes. She will encourage you to develop your own individuality when lettering with a brush.
- Expert tuition from an expert teacher!
- Your very own Brush Lettering Kit including a special lettering brush and practice guides, all in a personalised folder hand lettered by Barbara.
- All of your work from the weekend plus a final project demonstrating your skills.
- Lots of hands-on experience under one-on-one guidance from a master letterer to inspire your ongoing practice.
- A day of switching off from the computer, hearing Barbara’s fascinating lettering stories and insights, making new friends, and discussion about how to make a career out of lettering.
- Rad new skills to show off to your friends on Instagram.
- Online access to Learn Brush Lettering.
- Your thirst for knowledge!
Anyone and everyone who has an interest in lettering!
Vendor sincce 2016
Carla is a Melbourne-based letterer who runs her studio from a sunny shared creative space Little Gold Studios in Brunswick. She creates beautifully hand-crafted bespoke lettering pieces for all sorts of applications, editorial, branding and signage. She painstakingly hand-crafts lettering for a range of creative clients including fashion, music, food, branding, retail, hospitality, magazines, books, weddings and conferences.
terms & conditions
- These workshops require equipment and many hours of preparation. If you cancel within 14 days of the course we can only refund you 50% of the fee to cover our costs, sorry! We’re absolutely happy to transfer it to someone else though, just let us know their contact details and we’ll switch the booking (but you’ll have to organise payment between yourselves). Email email@example.com for refunds, cancellations or to confirm the transfer details of the new attendees.
- We hope it doesn’t happen, but if the workshop is unfortunately cancelled, you will be fully refunded for the cost of the workshop. The workshops must have a minimum of 4 participants before they can commence. Students will be notified via email of any cancellations.