In this full day workshop, you will learn how to create your own finished portrait. This workshop suits both complete beginners and intermediate students wanting to expand their portraiture skills.
Your tutor for the day is Sheng Yi Lee - check out her Instagram @shengyi.lee for her latest work.
We will be covering:
- Portraiture basics (facial features, proportions)
- Introduction to using colour pencils and watercolour
- Drawing and tonal studies of your chosen subject
- Style exploration - by having a look at a range of portraits by modern artists
- How to prepare your own A4 portrait, from start to finish!
There will be a short lunch break from 12:30pm–1pm. You are welcome to bring your own lunch for the day, or explore the many cafes along Brunswick Street and Gertrude Street.
Light snacks and wine – after lunch ;-) – will be provided to accompany our portraiture journey throughout the day!
The class will be an intimate group of 10 to allow everyone the opportunity to receive plenty of feedback and 1-on-1 attention.
- Portraiture basics: identifying facial features and getting proportions right
- How to use watercolours, and how to use coloured pencils for skin tones
- How to tell a unique story through your stylised portrait
- All materials and paper provided
- Practical demonstrations
- Refreshments - wine and nibbles!
- (Optional) Your own sketchbook and/or materials
Casual dress code
Beginners and intermediate students wanting to explore portraiture
Vendor since 2017
Classe Petit is the place for art lovers, hobby artists and budding painters looking to grow, share and explore their love for art. And that includes you – especially you – if you've never held a paintbrush in your life! We host paint and sip sessions and other social art events for all skill levels.
-- For all public classes and workshops --
We can only issue refunds for any cancellations made at least 72 hours (3 days) prior to the start of the event. If you would like to transfer to another session, we require at least 48 hours' notice before the event. You are always welcome to send a friend along and use the ticket in your name if you are not able to attend.
All classes require a minimum of 8 participants to go ahead. If we need to cancel an event due to low enrolment or unexpected circumstances, we will notify you immediately via email and mobile. Your ticket will automatically be transferred to the next painting session, but you can request any alternative event.
-- For private events --
We only issue full refunds for cancellations made more than 7 days prior to the event date. You will receive an 80% refund off the total fee for short notice cancellations (< 7 days).