Spend your Wednesday evenings learning how to make vessels using both the pottery wheel and by handbuilding.
Over eight weeks, you’ll gain foundation skills in wheel throwing and be introduced to vessel making using a range of handbuilding techniques. Our experienced and engaging tutor, Tania Jeffery, will help you discover (or perhaps rediscover) the art of forming ceramic vessels.
Our class sizes are small so you can develop your skills, find your individual style and learn at your own pace. Clay Talk @ Montsalvat’s spacious and beautifully designed ceramic studio is a great space to tap into your creativity.
This course is for two hours on a Wednesday evening. We also have two-hour weekday morning and three-hour weekend afternoon courses.
About your tutor, Tania
Tania has taught all levels and ages how to throw and handbuild. She’s been working as a ceramic artist for over seven years. But, Tania’s passion for ceramics started earlier – when she first got a chance to use the pottery wheel in art class at primary school.
In Tania’s own words, “Turning malleable clay in to limitless shapes and finally transforming the finished artwork in to something permanent and frozen in time is like magic. Sharing this discovery with others is part of the joy of working in ceramics. Teaching is one of the highlights of my time in the ceramic field.”
8 classes every Wednesday evening 6:30-8:30pm (2hrs) Term 1
- How to prepare your clay and centre it on the pottery wheel
- Step-by-step wheel throwing skills for making simple vessel forms such as cylinders and bowls
- Introduction to handbuilding vessels using techniques like coiling and pinch pots
- 5kg of clay to start you off
- Use of wheels, tools and other equipment such as banding wheels (we also have basic tool kits available if you want to buy your own)
- The vessels you threw bisque fired, ready to take home at the end of term (end-of term firing fee is $8/kg)
Casual / older clothes and covered or closed-in shoes - clay can get messy!
Everyone interested to learn ceramics - whether you've never touched clay before, want a refresher course or to develop your skills further.
If you'd like to give this course to someone special, gift vouchers are available. To find out more, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Vendor sincce 2017
Clay Talk @ Montsalvat is a new ceramics facility located in the grounds of Montsalvat – Australia’s oldest continuously active artists’ community. The studio is an addition to Montsalvat’s already rich history as a place where art is made, taught, shown and experienced.
At Clay Talk, we aim to be a creative environment that brings students and practitioners together through education and skills-based programs. Currently we offer classes where you can learn wheel throwing and hand building. From 2018, additional classes will start to be introduced. We also plan to offer specialised programs and workshops taught by established artists so practicing ceramicists can explore new techniques.
If you change your mind and want to cancel your course booking completely, you can either transfer your enrollment to a friend or we'll refund:
- 100% if you cancel at least 4 weeks before the course starts, less a $20 administration fee.
- 50% if you cancel 2 weeks before the course starts, less a $20 administration fee.
- No refund if you cancel:
- less than 2 weeks before the course starts; or
- the course has already started.
We'll give a full refund if we have someone on our waiting list who can take your spot immediately or if we cancel a course for any reason.
If you can’t attend a class during your course, unfortunately we don’t offer make up classes. We therefore encourage you to choose your courses and dates carefully.