Discover Wheel Throwing - Wed AM - TERM CLASS
Term 1 2023: Wednesday 8th February - Wednesday 29th March.
Term 2 2023: Wednesday 26th April - Wednesday 14th June.
Term 3 2023: Wednesday 12th July - Wednesday 5th September.
Term 4 2023: Wednesday 4th October - Wednesday 29th November.
Time: 10.00am - 12.00pm.
Tutor: Yuso Lee
Placements are limited to 10 per class. Placements will be properly opened to the public one month before the beginning of term.
Spend your Wednesday mornings in the creative space of our mud brick studio, being introduced to the pottery wheel. Our experienced, engaging and friendly tutor, will help you discover (or perhaps rediscover) the art of forming ceramic vessels. This course runs for 8 weeks and each class runs for 2 hours.
Initially you will be taught to understand the basic nature of clay as a material with an easy to understand scientific basis. Then quickly move onto the techniques of wedging, centering on the wheel & correctly using the tools and resources in the studio. You will be taught to make the foundation forms of cylinders and bowls, how to finish your work by turning and trimming and finally an in depth introduction to decorating and glazing your pots.
This 8 week course will teach you how to make pieces, turning, trimming and finishing and includes an in-depth introduction to glazing.
Why Clay Talk?
Our class sizes are small so you can develop your skills, find your individual style and learn at your own pace. Clay Talk @ Montsalvat’s spacious and beautifully designed ceramic studio is a great space to tap into your creativity.
About your tutor, Yuso Lee:
Yuso has taught all levels and ages how to throw and hand build over her 20+ year career. Yuso is originally from Korea. She graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Ceramics in Korea and a Diploma of Ceramics from Holmesglen College of TAFE in Melbourne. She has lived and taught in Australia since 2005.
Yuso gets inspiration for her ceramic arts from inner emotions and the environment she lives in. She works the clay into ceramic pieces that reflect her inner feelings. Other part of her ceramic art is the building series. These represent her urban surroundings. Yuso reflects Melbourne city views at dusk in the form of ceramic pieces.
Yuso loves working with clay because she can replicate her emotions though 2D and 3D shapes. Clay has got a lot of character - it can be wet, soft, dry and hard. And it can be unpredictable - producing unexpected and exciting results.
What you will learn
- How to prepare your clay, centre it on the wheel and step-by-step throwing skills for making simple vessel forms such as cylinders and bowls
- How to finish your work by turning and trimming.
- Introductory skills in glazing and firing (in last 2 weeks)
What you will get
- 10kg of clay to start you off
- Use of wheels and all other studio equipment
- The vessels you throw glazed and fired
What to bring
- Towel and Apron
- Clay took kit (available for purchase at checkout or from any art supply store)
What to wear
Casual / older clothes and covered or closed-in shoes - clay can get messy!
Anyone interested in learning ceramics and wants to develop their techniques. You may have never touched clay before, want a refresher course or are keen to build your skills that bit further.
The Clay Talk Ceramics Centre in Montsalvat is a ceramics facility located in the grounds of Montsalvat – Australia’s oldest continuously active artists’ community. The studio is an addition to Montsalvat’s already rich history as a place where art is made, taught, shown and experienced.
At Clay Talk, we aim to be a creative environment that brings students and practitioners together through education and skills-based programs. Currently we offer classes where you can learn wheel throwing and hand building at all stages of development supplemented by specialist programs and workshops taught by established artists.
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a transfer or credit note.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
You may cancel anytime before class starts and claim a full refund or transfer or credit note.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
TERMS & CONDITIONS
To secure your place in a class, course or workshop we require full payment at the time of booking.
Bookings are only accepted through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Payment of class, course or workshop fees can only be made through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Clay Talk studio is located on the grounds of Montsalvat. For this reason there are security measures in place to prevent trespassing and maintain your safety. Upon booking you should receive an Information Kit which has instructions on how to access Clay Talk studio.
REFUNDS / ABSENCE / TRANSFERS
- We DO NOT offer refunds or transfers if you change your mind. Please be sure you are able to commit to the class, course or workshop dates and times prior to booking.
- We do not offer 'make-up classes'. We might be able to offer alternative arrangements if you cannot attend class by contacting us at email@example.com to check if you are eligible within 5 working days of missing your class . Retrospective requests will not be accepted. Studio Access times are NOT make-up classes.
- Clay Talk reserves the right to cancel a class due to unforeseen circumstances such as insufficient enrolments. You will be notified prior to the class if cancellation of the class is deemed necessary and a pro-rata refund will be provided.
In the event of a lockdown or restrictions causing unavoidable or unforeseen interruption to the delivery of classes and workshops Clay Talk will endeavour to provide rescheduled classes and workshops.
In the event that students cannot attend the classes, students must email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible prior to the commencement of the rescheduled class or workshop. If a student is unable to attend the rescheduled classes or workshop Clay Talk may, at its absolute discretion, provide either a credit note or a pro-rata refund (minus an administration fee of 10%).
Gift vouchers are only available through our online portal www.claytalk.weteachme.com/. Gift vouchers can be purchased for a minimum of $20 and are valid for 3 years from purchase. Gift vouchers can be only be used for booking classes, courses and/or workshops at Clay Talk through our online portal. Gift vouchers can be applied at check out when booking a class, course or workshop.
FIRING OF WORK
Most workshops include firing and glazing of a specific number of pieces. Check the workshop listing description on our online platform. Students participating in one-off workshops must label their pieces with the name associated with their booking/ticket.
We take extreme care with your work but accidents do happen and we are unable to guarantee that your work will be successfully fired. Clay Talk takes no responsibility for failure or breakage of work.
- Firing of 2.5kg of finished work per student is included in the term class fee.
- Students can make and fire more work over this limit however additional charges apply.
- Students must label each of their pieces with their Makers Mark (your Makers Mark is made up of the initials of your first, middle & last name and your class code e.g. John Adam Smith = JAS). No Makers Mark will mean your work will not be fired.
If a kiln shelf is badly damaged from your work due to incorrect glaze type or clay body, you will be charged for the cost of replacing that shelf.
- If your work damages the interior of the kiln, you will be required to pay a fine based on the severity of the damage to be determined by the Clay Talk Studio Coordinator.
COLLECTION OF WORK
- Firing, glazing and packaging of your work takes approximately 2-4 weeks after your class/workshop.
- You will be notified by email when your work is ready for collection.
- Student work must be collected within 1 month of being notified. Students will be notified by email to the email address provided upon booking. If fired work, leftover clay and/or tools are not collected within this time it will be disposed of or donated to Clay Talk Fundraising.
More From Clay Talk Ceramic Centre
Handbuilding with Mary-lou Pittard - TERM CLASSHandbuilding with Mary-lou Pittard - TERM CLASS
AU$630.00Eltham, VICTue, 02 May 6:30PM (AEST)
Other classes you might like
Inner Artist Interactive Play Reding for KidsInner Artist Interactive Play Reding for Kids
AU$56.00Live via ZoomWed, 19 Apr 2:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Paint a Tote Bag: DogPaint a Tote Bag: Dog
from AU$60.00Live via ZoomSun, 16 Apr 3:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Learn Decoupage at HomeLearn Decoupage at Home
from AU$67.00Live via ZoomSun, 14 May 3:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Watercolour with It Hao Pheh (Zoom)-Single SessionWatercolour with It Hao Pheh (Zoom)-Single Session
AU$26.00Live via ZoomThu, 30 Mar 1:30PM (AEDT) (+10 more)
An Intro to MehndiAn Intro to Mehndi
from AU$85.00Live via ZoomWed, 31 May 7:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Terrarium Workshop: SucculentsTerrarium Workshop: Succulents
AU$40.00Live via ZoomSat, 15 Apr 11:00AM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Intro to Vintage Fashion IllustrationsIntro to Vintage Fashion Illustrations
from AU$80.00Live via ZoomSun, 07 May 2:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Watercolour FloralsWatercolour Florals
AU$40.00Live via ZoomSun, 23 Apr 11:00AM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
3D Modelling for Jewellery and Objects3D Modelling for Jewellery and Objects
from AU$445.00Live via ZoomWed, 06 Sep 6:30PM (AEST)
Graffiti Drawing for KidsGraffiti Drawing for Kids
AU$53.00Live via ZoomThu, 20 Apr 2:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings