This workshop series consolidates basic hand-building methods taught in our Beginner Class and broadens techniques used for constructing everyday, functional objects by hand. This series is best suited to participants who have previous experience working with clay. There are two sessions in total, held across a fortnight on Thursday evening. All your materials, tools and clay firing will be provided, along with tea and light refreshments as we learn and create together!
Session 1: Hand-building Intermediate
This session encourages a focused exploration of a diverse range of clay bodies and introduces new hand-building techniques: Clay Inlay and Slab Construction. Using these techniques, participants will learn how different clays can be combined to create visually stunning patterns and textures in everyday ceramics. Participants will have opportunities to create their own individual pieces and experiment with building larger forms – such as tumblers, mugs, vases and platters! Let’s refine our off-wheel skills and keep our creativity going! This session is 2.5 hours.
Session 2: Glaze and Colour
After the first session, participants will return for an opportunity to glaze and colour their work. Building on beginner-level skills, participants will learn how to mix coloured glazes by adding ceramic oxides and metal oxides to clear, white and satin glazes. Mixing glazes is an exciting part of the handmade process that will deepen your appreciation of ceramics. This session is 2 hours. We can’t wait to see you there!
Other Important Stuff
- Collecting your work: Your clay creations will be fired after our last session, ready to collect in approximately 2-4 weeks from our studio. We can also organise delivery for an additional fee.
- Workshop size: We run small group workshops of up to 5 participants to allow greater individual attention and a personalised experience. Please note a minimum of 2 participants is required per workshop. In the unlikely event a class is cancelled due to insufficient numbers, we'll let you know via email straight away.
- Studio photos: Our studio is at 1 Fiona Court, St Kilda. This is a different studio to the one shown in the photos, but just as beautiful! The exact same workshop content will be delivered.
- Keeping safe: We are following DHHS guidelines to help stop the spread of COVID-19: (1) Provision of hand sanitisers and soaps; (2) Provision of extra tools to reduce sharing; (3) Thorough disinfecting of surfaces and tools between sessions.
- Important note on accessibility: Our studio is located on the 3rd floor which is only accessible by stairs.
What you will learn
- How to create functional ceramics using hand-building techniques
- Basic skills and knowledge in glaze and colour decoration
What you will get
- Ceramic pieces made during the workshop
- Tea, light refreshments, and all material and firing costs
- Guidance and support from an experienced ceramic artist
What to bring
- Please wear an apron or old shirt you don't mind getting dirty
- Face mask as the workshop will be indoors
- Fun and enthusiasm!
What to wear
All are welcome! This class is ideal for beginners with little or no experience, or anyone interested in learning different ways of making ceramics by hand.
Everyday Clay is a Melbourne-based design studio specialising in handcrafted ceramics. We offer modern ceramic homewares that are bespoke, original, and seeking to inspire our every day. In our practice, we focus on small-batch production that prioritises quality over quantity. This allows us to create sustainably and with care, and to infuse our work with a lot of heart and soul. We are proud to have sold works nationally and internationally across Australia, Asia, United Kingdom and USA. We also love sharing what we know through ceramic workshops, and would love to welcome you into our studio for a class!
- Refund and transfer requests. Refunds, transfers or credit will not be processed if you cancel less than 7 days of the class or event commencing. To request a refund or transfer, Everyday Clay requires at least 7 days notice via email prior to the start of a class or event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to organise.
- Partial refunds. Everyday Clay has the right to issue a partial refund, (i.e., A % of the total order) and to retain any booking and processing fees associated with the order.
- Missed classes. Everyday Clay does not offer refunds, transfers, or makeup sessions for missed classes. If you can't make a class, you can arrange with Everyday Clay to send someone else in your place.
- Cancelled class/event. In the event that a class is cancelled by Everyday Clay, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Everyday Clay or organised by Everyday Clay must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Everyday Clay.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Everyday Clay publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Everyday Clay classes or on Everyday Clay premises for general marketing purposes (e.g., social media posts, newsletters).
We require 7 days notice in writing prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit.
Workshop fees are entitled to a full refund or exchange for store credit if: (1) at least 7 days notice is given in writing prior to class, or (2) the workshop is cancelled due to uncontrollable circumstances. Workshop fees are non-refundable if less than 7 days notice is given.