Expert and experienced tuition
Graham Hay has taught these classes since 1998.
An internationally recognised expert in ceramics and ceramic education, he is regularly invited to teach interstate and in a dozen countries.
Expert in teaching both beginners and previously experienced students.
All teaching will be customised to suit your own personal background and preferences, so you can learn and make what interests you, at your own speed.
See below a very short video of a random mix of beginners and long term students.
As an incentive to constantly improve my teaching, since 1999 I have recorded both good and bad reviews of my 200+ workshops here: https://www.grahamhay.com.au/comments.html
To gain an impression of your likely experience find other reviews via Googling: reviews "Perth Pottery and Sculpture Classes"
To ensure you are absolutely happy, I urge new students to only buy and attend their first lesson, before buying more lessons. Do quiz the other students in the class, they’ll tell you all my faults!
Small, highly individual classes
The classes are small, with a weekly average of 6 students per class.
Only one or two new students join each class group at a time.
This ensures you receive greater support and encouragement from the teacher (and other students), compared to a large class of just beginners.
Plus both you and the regular students receive plenty of individual assistance.
This also means that you, regardless of your level of experience, are looked after and made most welcome.
You will receive timely instruction and advise whenever you require it.
Incermental expert advise means you can work at your own pace.
Because of this individual expert instruction, all students may pause, and resume (subject to space), their attendance. Regardless of reason (health, work, family, holiday, travel etc). Your class credit is preserved, provided you send a text or email, prior to the beginning of the lesson, and include a new date of return to class.
This means attending all students are healthy, happy and a relaxed atmosphere.
This also creates socially dynamic classes, with students appearing, disappearing and then re-appearing week by week.
As no two students make the same work, you can also learn also from fellow students, and the other studio artists.
Based upon your individual preferences, confidence, prior skills and knowledge, Graham introduces simple steps for you to create your work.
Many enjoy the classes being held within an open plan studio, surrounded by friendly, professional working artists.
The relaxed environment is enhanced by the light filled, high ceiling studio enviroment, within a beautiful inner-city park.
Try before you buy more lessons:
Pre-pay for the first lesson only.
Then decide during the first lesson if you wish to continue with further lessons.
If you purchase further lessons during your first lesson you receive an immediate $133 discount on any bundle of lessons in the table below.
The 2019 fee for 16 lessons is $1,152 - $133 paid = $1,019 outstanding, with 15 lessons remaining, i.e. a $61 savings on your first lesson)
The larger the bundle bought during the first lesson, the greater the discount.
This initial discount only applies if further lessons are purchased during the first lesson.
To ensure new students receive plenty of expert assistance, while recognising that long term students contribute to the studio and classes in many ways.
To enable students to purchase a variety of bundles of lessons, to suit their personal circumstances.
Once enrolled and prepaid lessons, you may pause and resume your attendance at any time (due to health, holidays, travel, work, family etc), without penalty, and change classes, provided you text or email date changes before the lesson (to avoid the Penalty, always include a return date), and there is space in the class.
New students are urged to read first "Try before you buy" (just above).
Bulk Discount Fees
lesson total (average
number cost $ $/class)
1 133 133
4 464 116
7 672 96
10 810 81
13 988 76
16 1,152 72 <<<example above
19 1,218 64
22 1,298 59
25 1,375 55
30 1,545 52
34 1,632 48
EFTPOS and all major credit classes accepted.
Lessons bought in one year can be used in future years.
2019 Class Day and Times:
Wednesday: 12 noon - 2.30pm
Wednesday: 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Friday: 9:30 am - 12 noon
Saturday: 1pm - 3:30pm
(confirm the classes are currently running: http://www.grahamhay.com.au/classes.html )
A Creative Space.
The classes (est 1998) are held in the Robertson Park Artists Studio, in the middle of the southern lawn of Robertson Park, Perth, Western Australia.
The studio is a spacious, light-filled space, leased from the City of Vincent by a group of professional artists. Annual Studio Newsletters.
- To progressively master both traditional and contemporary clay techniques.
- How to make your work, by simple, short, incremental steps, at your own speed, with expert tuition.
- How to select (or develop) an idea or process, suitable to your own confidence and skill.
- Try before you buy: pay only for the first class. Decide at that class how many lessons you want (generous discounts).
- Greater creativity and a more relaxed, balanced perspective on life.
- You start classes when you are ready, and pause and resume when it suits you, without penalty (just let us know).
- New, and increased; knowledge, skill and confidence with clay.
- You receive your own free 10 kg bag of soft clay, and use of studio tools and equipment.
- Free parking, tea and real coffee.
- Welcomed into a supportive community of similar, like minded students and artists.
3 hour Free Parking
at Robertson Park Tennis Club carpark,
either side on Fitzgerald Street.
(Wed. night class: note: clearway until 6pm on east side, then free)
- Bring any drawings, pictures you might have (optional).
An old shirt or comfortable clothes. Covered shoes are necessary as this is a working studio.
Vendor since 2013
Graham has taught ceramics since 1992.
He is nationally and internationally recognised as an expert in both ceramic art and also ceramic education.
Graham specialised in ceramics at high school and Teachers College, and holds separate degrees from Edith Cowan, and Curtin (hons) universities, were he majored in ceramics and sculpture.
His work has appeared in 150 exhibitions in ten countries, and is in public collections in six countries.
Graham has taught over 200 workshops in 12 countries, and co-lead Hungarian and US international ceramics conferences and symposiums (see www.grahamhay.com.au/workshops.html).
Authored 25 articles in ceramic journals in six countries.
Graham is very experienced teaching at absolutely beginners, intermediate and expert levels.
Frequently teaches in schools, tertiary institutions, groups of beginners, professional artists and educators (website).
Focuses on assisiting all students master techniques, gain confidence, relax completely, and produce amazing work.
Generous by nature, he shares over 200 pages of information on http://www.grahamhay.com.au. Visit it and be inspired.
Read online reviews going back to 2009. Just cut and paste
then Google it.
Graham is committed to excellence in ceramics education. So, since 1993 he has been recording all positive, and negative, student evaluation sheet comments verbatim from all workshops at http://www.grahamhay.com.au/comments.html
He regularly travels globally to share with and learn from fellow ceramic expert teachers.
common sense refund policy
Credits are transferable between students and others, but not generally refundable (but this does not diminish your statutory rights).
1. Courtesy Saves: If you can't attend any class, your lesson credit is only protected (ie "rolled over") if you email or text me before the lesson, AND provide a specific "date of return to class".
The quickest and easiest way is by using the reschedule link in class confirmation or reminder emails.
This information is essential to prevent too large or too small classes.
I will confirm receipt of you text or email, and that your place in the class reserved.
If you do not provide a return date, or do not attend the lesson, your balance will decline each week. When your balance reached zero, your shelve will be cleared (to make space for new students) and all clay recycled.
If you let me know via email/text, lessons can be rolled over for up to 2 years.
2. Similarly, if you are returning to classes after a prolonged absence, please contact me well before to ensure a place is reserved for you.
3. You can change which day and time you attend classes, and even attend more than one lesson per week, provided you have first discussed it with me, and there is space in the class. If you are using the automatic system, you'll see live online were the gaps are and can immediately reschedule.
4. If you are likely to be away for more than two months, you will be asked to temporarily take your clay and creations home (so to make space for new students, and to encourage you to keep making at home). Upon your return a space will be again made available for you.
5. Want more flexibility? Just ask.