This Introduction to Spinning Class will provide tuition in spinning a single, plying yarn, taking care of the wheel, choice & preparation of fibre and other basics of this historical skill which the Guild is thrilled to share!
No spinning experience required. Our skilled teachers will guide you in understanding fleece and using a spinning wheel. Course cost includes initial materials. You may bring your own wheel or use a Guild wheel.
Tutor: Janet Knoop
The Handweavers and Spinners Guild Rooms are located at 655 Nicholson Street, North Carlton and can be reached by Tram, Bus or Car. Parking is available in local streets, including 4 hour parking in Pigdon and Canning Streets.
Join the Guild!
Come and join us! You'll meet some great like minded people and be able to share in the collective knowledge of 60+ years of fellowship and creativity. There are many benefits from joining the Guild and we look forward to welcoming you soon.
Benefits of being a Guild Member!
- receive the member's only newsletter Treadles and regular updates via eNewsletters
- join a vibrant community at our monthly member's meeting
- discounted fees of all Classes and Workshops with world-class tutors
- sell your handcrafted items in the Member's Gallery
- access an extensive library of books, magazines and media
- join any of our Special Interest Groups
- access to fabulous craft supplies for any of your interests - spinning, weaving, felting or dyeing
How to join:
Download and complete a membership form, then return it in person or Post, to the Guild at 655 Nicholson Street, Carlton North 3054.:
-To read our refund and cancellation policy please view here
24th Feb, Saturday - 10am-2:30pm
3rd March, Saturday - 10am-2:30pm
10th March, Saturday - 10am-2:30pm
24th March, Saturday - 10am-2:30pm
- Fleece suitability and preparation & Wheel types and adjustments
- Skeining, Dyeing and Blending fleeces
- Spinning an even yarn and plying a balanced yarn
- Course cost includes initial materials.
- The use of a Spinning Wheel during the course
- Handweavers & Spinners Guild members are entitled to discounted places.
- You may bring your own wheel or use a Guild wheel.
- BYO lunch or buy locally, Makings for tea and coffee provided at the Guild rooms
Casual and comfortable
No spinning experience is required
Vendor sincce 2016
The Guild's aim is to bring together those who practise handweaving, spinning and allied crafts and to help and encourage them to increase their knowledge, understanding and skills by discussion, demonstration, exhibition, teaching and the provision of quality resource materials.
Our Guild rooms house an excellent library and craft supply, sell members work and host a wonderful range of interest groups, classes and workshops.
We have members and affiliated groups throughout the state.
Come and join us!
Cancellations and refunds
The Guild reserves the right to cancel classes due to insufficient numbers. If we cancel the workshop you will be notified and will be issued with a 100% refund.
If you decide to withdraw 7 or more days prior to the workshop/course date the Guild will retain a 10% administration fee.
If you decide to withdraw less than 7 days before the workshop/course date the Guild will retain 100% of your workshop fee.
Shibori & Resist Dyeing Woven Fabric-Summer SchoolWed, 17 Jan 10:00AM