Street Food Of Asia Cooking
Embark on a cultural journey into the Street Food of Asia with this series of cooking classes. From the smoky alleyways of Tokyo, through the vibrant markets of Bangkok, explore beloved Asian dishes in this fun and engaging experience.
This exploration of popular Asian Street Food will take you through four countries. Our well-travelled chef instructors will guide you through 4 diverse cooking traditions, spanning 4 classes, which can be attended individually or as a package. In this hands-on class, you'll be navigated through preparing numerous beautiful and tasty morsels of food. This class has been crafted to teach you all the skills necessary for you to be able to prepare your own Asian finger foods at home, perhaps a perfect solution for your next party at home. Whether you're looking for new and creative ideas for your next dinner party, a unique date night, we offer an engaging and thoroughly convivial experience.
We'll take you, step by step, through professional, yet approachable techniques to impress your guests at the next cocktail food party you host. Everyone cooks around our long, hand-made spotted gum kitchen bench for an interactive and sociable experience. Each month, we will alternate through our humble yet well thought out menu of finger foods and the street foods of Japan, Thailand, China and Vietnam. Join us for this unique culinary experience!
We have 4 menus for you to choose from and that will alternate each month. You can book one class (1 month) or book all 4 classes (4 months). The price is per class per person.
This ticket will be confirmed by email within 24 hours if seats are available.
STREET FOOD THAILAND
- Nam Phrik Kaeng Daeng -Red Thai Curry Paste
- Prik Nam Plaa- Fish Sauce Dressing
- Tod Mun Pla- Thai Fish Cakes
- Gai Tod Nam Pla- Glazed Chicken Wings
- Tod Man Khao Pod -Corn Fritters
- Nam Tok- 'Waterfall' Beef Salad
STREET FOOD VIETNAMFeb Jun-Oct
- Gỏi Cuốn -Rice Paper Rolls
- Bo lá lốt- Beef In Betel Leaf
- Nước Chấm- Fish Sauce Dressing
- Bánh Mì Xíu Mại- Mini Baguette with Vietnamese Meatballs
- Chả- Pan-Fried Lemongrass Sausage with Herbs
STREET FOOD CHINA
Mar Jul Nov
- Cong You Bing- Spring Onion Pancakes
- Ma La Ji Chi- Chonqing Chicken Wings
- Pai Huang Gua- Sichaun Pickled Cucumbers
- Gua Bao - Steamed Pork Buns with Caramelised Pork Belly and Quick Pickles
STREET FOOD JAPAN
Apr Aug Dec
- Inarizushi- Tofu Pockets with Salmon Salad
- Tsukune -Chicken Meatballs with Teriyaki Sauce
- Enoki-Niku Maki- Beef Rolls with Enoki Mushrooms
- Horensou Hakusai Maki no Goma Ae- Chinese Cabbage and Spinach Rolls with Sesame Sauce
What you will learn
- Learn how to prepare and present various popular street food preparations
- Taste a variety of delicious, and authentic street foods
- Enjoy this experience in a small and intimate group setting
What you will get
- Enjoy a complimentary refreshment upon arrival
- Prepare and cook a varied menu, utilising a wide range of techniques along the way
- Finish the class by tasting all of your creations with a glass of sparkling wine or beer
Otao Kitchen is located at 360 Victoria Street, Richmond, 3121 Victoria, AustraliaPublic Transport
We encourage you to travel on public transport. Please check with Public Transport Victoria (www.ptv.vic.gov.au or 1800 800 007) for train and tram timetables. Otao kitchen is accessible via train to North Richmond Station and/or tram; route 109 (Box Hill to Port Melbourne) and route 12 (St Kilda to Victoria Gardens) go along Victoria Street – you should disembark at stop 22. Route 78 (Prahran to Richmond) stops at the corner of Church and Victoria Streets and is only one block from Otao kitchen.
There is plenty of street parking available during the day on Victoria and surrounding streets, but most have a 1-2 hour parking limit. Sunday is free from 12pm. Please check the sign. Parking can also be limited depending on the day and time, so plan carefully. Alternatively, you can park your vehicle in Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre where 2 hours and more parking is available at reasonable rates. Otao Kitchen is just a short 5 minute walk from the Shopping Centre.
Bicycles can be stored and locked securely at the front of Otao kitchen’s property. If you need to park the bike in the back, please enter via the Victoria Street main entrance and arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your class so the bicycle can be stored without interruption to the class.
What to bring
What to wear
Comfortable clothing and closed toe shoes
Beginner and Advance cooks
Vendor since 2020
Otao kitchen was launched in Richmond, Melbourne, Australia in July 2014, with the goal of celebrating the rich and varied cooking experiences of Melbourne’s immigrant multicultural communities. Its founder, Chef Ha Nguyen, originally from Hanoi shares his passion for food, instructing customers in the exotic diaspora of Asian and around the world cuisine.
Today our guests can get inspired by cooking with our local and international chefs, listen to their cooking and travel experiences in Asia and around the world and bring some cooking and cultural tips and tricks home. With the nods at the diversity of communities within Melbourne, Otao kitchen features an array of food experiences on Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Dumplings, Indian, Korean, Indonesian, as well as French, Italian, Spanish, Mexican cuisines and more.
In 2020 with the challenge of global Covid 19 pandemic, we set out to capture the curriculum of our hands-cooking classes and deliver it online to home cooks in Australia and across the world to guide you to cooking success and better health.
Otao kitchen is named after Ông Táo, the Vietnamese Kitchen God. Ông Táo is regarded as the advocate of Vietnamese families to the gods and a messenger between Heaven and Earth. In preparation for a prosperous year, Vietnamese families clean their homes and polish their silver. During the New Year celebrations, Ông Táo comes to serve as the Kitchen God to Vietnamese families. As the old year ends, he flys back to Heaven on a magic carp reporting on each family’s life and experiences over the past year to the Jade Emperor, the King of Heaven. Ông Táo is regarded as a family member and various prayers and offerings are brought to him at the family altar.
Otao Kitchen aims to increase the accessibility of healthy food options with hands-on cooking. Our cooking classes offer you an intelligent, thoughtful and authentic cooking experience - that is fun, adventurous and suitable for people of all ages, teams, work party, backgrounds or levels of cooking skills. The skills you will learn are fully transferable to your own kitchen and we look forward to hearing and seeing what you create at home after the classes.
For face-to-face cooking classes visit https://otaokitchen.com.au
For online cooking classes and portal visit http://homecookinglive.com
- Refund and transfer requests. Refunds, transfers or credit will not be processed if you cancel within 48 hours of the class or event commencing. To request a refund or transfer, Otao kitchen requires at least 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event. Please email email@example.com to organise.
- Partial refunds. Otao kitchen has the right to issue a partial refund, (i.e., A % of the total order) and to retain any booking and processing fees associated with the order.
- Missed classes. Otao kitchen does not offer refunds, transfers, or makeup sessions for missed classes. If you can't make a class, you can arrange with Otao kitchen to send someone else in your place.
- Cancelled class/event. In the event that a class is cancelled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Otao kitchen or organised by Otao kitchen must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Otao kitchen
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Otao kitchen unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Otao kitchen classes and events or on Otao kitchen premises. (For use of Otao kitchen marketing materials).
Otao kitchen requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit.
In the event that a class is cancelled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.