VIETNAMESE COOKING ONLINE
Vietnamese cuisine is one of the most diverse and vibrant in the world. It uses an enchanting mix of food from colonial visitors, native ingredients and traditional cooking techniques. Many aspects of climate, trade, history and immigration have influenced the food of Vietnam we know today. Vietnamese food is about the balance of flavours, of sweet, salty and sour as together we will make sauces together as well. we will introduce you to some of our favourite Vietnamese dishes to cook at home with plenty of herbs and vegetables.
- Enjoy Vietnamese cooking class online experience, with expert Chef tuition
- Learn the fundamentals of Vietnamese cooking with ingredients and flavours
- A delicious meal celebrated and enjoyed together
- Cooking tips, tricks, and techniques
- The recipes from your class so you can recreate them at home
ON THE DAY LIVE STREAM
- This hands-on Vietnamese cooking experience lasts for approximately 4 hours
- Demonstration of the Vietnamese cooking class recipes by your Chef
- We start with the pho and chef will explain the spices in the dish
- We will then making dipping sauce
- Work on the spring rolls and cook
- Finally, we work on the salad and put all the dishes together.
- Together we will share the dishes we cook at the end
- Nuoc Cham - Fish sauce dip
- Chả giò - Spring rolls - Vegetarian or Pork
- Pho Ga Traditional Chicken Noodle Soup
HOW WE RUN THE CLASS?
- Learning by doing! You can start cooking at your own pace before and after actual zoom class because we email you ingredient list, recipes and video.
- We will answer your question pre and post-class by email us. If you made the recipes, you would have more questions for us and that's great. We hope this is one of your favourite dishes for some time!
- We recommend you to watch the pre-recorded the video below to understand the dish before you start making and cooking. We understand it might be difficult to find ingredients and it is better to build up the pantry slowly. Our recipes are developed in the way that you can shop at your local supermarkets.
- The Live Cooking Demonstration Webinars are advertised here for ZOOM class. You can also join us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/otaokitchen.
- While our kitchen studio is a licensed venue so our staff can be there to oversee the liquor consumption. In this online cooking class, you are welcome to BYO your own wine and beer. However for safety, please focus on cooking and you can drink with the meal later.
WHAT TO BRING?
We recommend for you to measure and put all the ingredients on a dish/tray to be ready to cook. This way you can enjoy yourself while connecting to others. If you tell us about your dietary requirement, we can suggest some substitute ideas. We will do our best to help you to cook the dishes on the menu. We might be able to organise an ingredient pack for you and your guests for an extra cost if you are within 5km from Richmond, Melbourne.
Nuoc Cham - Fish sauce dip
- Chilli, garlic, lime juice fish sauce, rice vinegar and sugar knife
Pho Ga Traditional Chicken Noodle Soup
- For the meat - 1 Whole chicken bird organic or free-range
- For garnish: spring onion, coriander leaf, fried onions, bean sprout, Thai basil, lime wedges and thinly chilli slices
- For the noodle: 1kg fresh flat noodles or two packs of dry Pho noodles
For seasoning: Fish sauce, rock sugar, salt and pepper
Chả giò - Spring rolls - Vegetarian or Pork
- FOR THE MIX: 120g pork/chicken mince, 1 pcs spring onion sliced and chopped, 2cm carrot diced, 1/2 egg beaten optional to bind
- TO ROLL 1 package of frozen spring roll pastry defrost 1-2 hours before you make it.
- GARNISH Iceberg and mint, Nuoc cham dipping sauce
To get started, make sure you have the following
- Sharp knife and cutting board and maybe a smaller one for smaller chefs.
- Sturdy sauté pans, large pots, steamer, ramekin
- Set of small bowls for your mise en place.
- Food processor or a mortar and pestle
- Spatula, tong, serving spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons and a scale
WHAT TO WEAR?
- We recommend comfortable clothing and closed-toed shoes. It’s a great idea to tie your hair back if it’s long too. We’ll have aprons and chef hats for the whole team if you let us know so we can organise them!
CAN MY CHILDREN JOIN?
- Children who are attending online cooking classes must be participating with a parent or guardian.
- Because of the difficulty of the course material, we recommend this program for children 10 years old or older.
CANCELLATIONS AND CHANGE FOR DATES
- This is online class so you will get access to the class as soon as you sign up - we will send you recipes, videos and Zoom details. No cancellation but you can change the date.
- If you miss the webinar session you can catch up on our Facebook page or zoom videos.
- If you buy the voucher from the 3rd party you will be bounced by the terms which we don't have the control over their business practices.
What you will learn
- You’ll go away with full knowledge on how to make dumpling from the scratch
- Learn to make the dough, make the fillings and fold your favourite dumpling shapes
- Enjoy a fun cooking, eating and virtual cooking experience
What you will get
- This online Zoom class lasts for 1 to 2 hours
- Tips and tricks on master the dumplings at home.
- Recipes and shopping notes
What to bring
- We recommend for you to measure and put all the ingredients on a dish/tray to be ready to cook. This way you can enjoy yourself while connecting to others. If you tell us about your dietary requirement, we can suggest some substitute ideas. We will do our best to help you to cook the dishes on the menu. We might be able to organise an ingredient pack for you and your guests for an extra cost if you are within 5km from Richmond, Melbourne. DOUGH: 160g bread flour + 80g boiling water FILLINGS: 180g pork mince + 1 leaf of wombok (Chinese cabbage), chopped finely (can use 1 cup chopped cabbage + 1 baby king oyster mushroom, minced or button mushroom + 1 spring onion, minced + 1 clove of garlic, minced + 1 clove of ginger, minced SEASONING: 2 tsp soy sauce + 1 tsp Shaoxing (Chinese rice wine) + 1 tsp vegetable oil + ¼ tsp sesame oil + ¼ tsp salt + ¼ tsp sugar DIPPING SAUCE: 1 tbsp soy + 1 tbsp black vinegar or just any vinegar + few drops of chilli oil Oil to spray for the steamers
What to wear
We recommend comfortable clothing and closed-toed shoes. It’s a great idea to tie your hair back if it’s long too. We’ll have aprons and chef hats for the whole team if you let us know so we can organise them!
From 10+ years old
Otao Kitchen was launched in Richmond, Melbourne, Australia in July 2014, with the goal of celebrating the rich and varied cooking experiences of Melbourne’s immigrant multicultural communities. Its founder, Chef Ha Nguyen, originally from Hanoi shares his passion for food, instructing customers in the exotic diaspora of Asian and around the world cuisine.
Today our guests can get inspired by cooking with our local and international chefs, listen to their cooking and travel experiences in Asia and around the world and bring some cooking and cultural tips and tricks home. With the nods at the diversity of communities within Melbourne, Otao kitchen features an array of food experiences on Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Dumplings, Indian, Korean, Indonesian, as well as French, Italian, Spanish, Mexican cuisines and more.
In 2020 with the challenge of global Covid 19 pandemic, we set out to capture the curriculum of our hands-cooking classes and deliver it online to home cooks in Australia and across the world to guide you to cooking success and better health.
Otao Kitchen is named after Ông Táo, the Vietnamese Kitchen God. Ông Táo is regarded as the advocate of Vietnamese families to the gods and a messenger between Heaven and Earth. In preparation for a prosperous year, Vietnamese families clean their homes and polish their silver. During the New Year celebrations, Ông Táo comes to serve as the Kitchen God to Vietnamese families. As the old year ends, he flys back to Heaven on a magic carp reporting on each family’s life and experiences over the past year to the Jade Emperor, the King of Heaven. Ông Táo is regarded as a family member and various prayers and offerings are brought to him at the family altar.
Otao Kitchen aims to increase the accessibility of healthy food options with hands-on cooking. Our cooking classes offer you an intelligent, thoughtful and authentic cooking experience - that is fun, adventurous and suitable for people of all ages, teams, work party, backgrounds or levels of cooking skills. The skills you will learn are fully transferable to your own kitchen and we look forward to hearing and seeing what you create at home after the classes.
For face-to-face cooking classes visit https://otaokitchen.com.au
Cancellations & Refunds
- Refund and transfer requests. Refunds, transfers or credit will not be processed if you cancel within 48 hours of the class or event commencing. To request a refund or transfer, Otao kitchen requires at least 7 days notice via email prior to the start of a class or event. Please email email@example.com to organise accordingly. Early-bird tickets can be rescheduled by paying the general ticket price difference.
- Partial refunds. Otao kitchen has the right to issue a partial refund, (i.e., A % of the total order) and to retain any booking and processing fees associated with the order.
- Missed classes. Otao kitchen does not offer refunds, transfers, or makeup sessions for missed classes. If you can't make a class, you can arrange with Otao kitchen to send someone else in your behalf. No-shows incur 50% of the ticket value should rebooking be requested.
- Cancelled class/event. In the event that a class is cancelled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Otao kitchen or organised by Otao kitchen must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Otao kitchen
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Otao kitchen unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Otao kitchen classes and events or on Otao kitchen premises. (For use of Otao kitchen marketing materials).
3.) REFUNDS & RESCHEDULE
Otao Kitchen requires 7 days notice in writing or with a call prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit. You may be able to reschedule 7 days before at no cost. Changes done within 7 days prior to the class may incur an admin fee of $59.
In the event that a class is canceled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.