Chinese Cooking Online
Online Cooking Made Easy
You've eaten Chinese takeout a hundred times, and you know what menu selections you like best. But how often have you made authentic Chinese food in your kitchen? If you've never dabbled in the exquisite art of Chinese cooking, now is the time to learn. An expert chef will guide you through your favourite Chinese menu, as well as some new ones to add to your repertoire. In this online class, we will show you how to prepare some of the most classic Chinese comfort foods. We love for all things flavorful, local, and fresh has inspired this creative and comforting four-course menu.
- Online cooking experience with an expert chef instructor
- Learn best practices to well-kept Chinese knives
- Explore fundamentals of cooking ingredients, spices and flavour profile
- Listen to cooking tips and tricks and recreate the dishes at home with online recipes
ON THE DAY LIVE STREAM
- This hands-on Vietnamese cooking experience lasts for approximately 4 hours
- Demonstration of the Chinese cooking class recipes by your Chef
- We will make the mixtures and wrap the and wontons
- Cook the noodles with bok choy
- Make the fried rice
- Online recipes from your class so you can recreate them at home
- Hun Tun Tang- Wonton Soup
- Mee- Stir-Fried Noodles with Bok Choy
- Chao Fan- Cantonese Fried Rice
HOW WE RUN THE CLASS?
- Learning by doing! You can start cooking at your own pace before and after actual zoom class because we email you ingredient list, recipes and video.
- We will answer your question pre and post-class by email or telephone. If you made the Chinese recipes, you would have more questions for us, and that's great. We hope this is one of your favourite dishes for some time!
- We recommend you to watch the pre-recorded the video below to understand the recipe before you start making and cooking. We know it might be difficult to find ingredients, and it is better to build up the pantry slowly.
- The Live Cooking Demonstration Webinars are advertised here for ZOOM class. You can also join us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/otaokitchen.
- While our kitchen studio is a licensed venue so our staff can be there to oversee the liquor consumption. In this online cooking class, you are welcome to BYO your wine and beer. However, for safety, please focus on cooking, and you can drink with the meal later.
WHAT TO BRING?
We recommend for you to measure and put all the ingredients on a dish/tray to be ready to cook. This way, you can enjoy yourself while connecting to others. If you tell us about your dietary requirement, we can suggest some substitute ideas. We will do our best to help you to cook the dishes on the menu. We might be able to organise an ingredient pack for you and your guests for an extra cost if you are within 5km from Richmond, Melbourne.
Hun Tun Tang - Wonton Soup
- 10 wonton wrappers
- Fillings: 100g pork mince; 1 spring onion - minced; 1 clove garlic - minced and 2x2cm ginger - minced
- Seasonings: 2 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp rice wine (clear), ¼ tsp sesame oil, 1 pinch of salt & 1 pinch sugar
- Broth: 500ml chicken stock, 2 small florets of broccoli, sliced, 2 baby king oyster mushrooms - sliced , 1 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 pinch salt, ½ tsp garlic, ½ tsp ginger
Hokkien Mee- Stir-Fried Noodles with Bok Choy
- Stir-Fry: 200g packaged Hokkien mee noodles - cooked in boiling water for 1 minute and drained,
- ½ carrot, cut into thin quarter-moons, 1 broccolini cut bias into 3cm pieces, 1 bok choy cut diagonally into 2cm pieces, 1 bird's eye chilli minced, 1 clove garlic minced, 100g pork belly sliced & 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Sauce: 1 tbsp oyster sauce, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce & ½ tsp sesame oil
Chao Fan- Cantonese Fried Rice
- 200g cooked, cold jasmine rice
- 100g bacon - sliced & 1 egg
- 2 spring onions - sliced, 1 clove garlic- minced
- 40g mixed frozen vegetables: carrots, peas, carrots
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper & 2 tbsp vegetable oil
WHAT TO WEAR?
- We recommend comfortable clothing and closed-toed shoes. It's a great idea to tie your hair back if it's long too. We'll have aprons and chef hats for the whole team if you let us know so we can organise them!
CAN MY CHILDREN JOIN?
- Children who are attending online cooking classes must be participating with a parent or guardian.
- Because of the difficulty of the course material, we recommend this program for children ten years old or older.
CANCELLATIONS AND CHANGE FOR DATES
- We will send you recipes, videos and Zoom details. No cancellation but you can change the date.
- If you miss the webinar session, you can catch up on our Facebook page or zoom videos.
- If you buy the voucher from the 3rd party, you will be bounced by the terms which we don't have the control over their business practices.
- Learn the fundamentals of cooking with ingredients and flavours
- A delicious meal celebrated and enjoyed together
- Enjoy a fun cooking, eating and virtual cooking experience
- This online Zoom class lasts for 1 to 2 hours
- Cooking tips, tricks, and techniques
- Recipes and shopping notes
- We recommend for you to measure and put all the ingredients on a dish/tray to be ready to cook. This way you can enjoy yourself while connecting to others. If you tell us about your dietary requirement, we can suggest some substitute ideas. We will do our best to help you to cook the dishes on the menu. We might be able to organise an ingredient pack for you and your guests for an extra cost if you are within 5km from Richmond, Melbourne. DOUGH: 160g bread flour + 80g boiling water FILLINGS: 180g pork mince + 1 leaf of wombok (Chinese cabbage), chopped finely (can use 1 cup chopped cabbage + 1 baby king oyster mushroom, minced or button mushroom + 1 spring onion, minced + 1 clove of garlic, minced + 1 clove of ginger, minced SEASONING: 2 tsp soy sauce + 1 tsp Shaoxing (Chinese rice wine) + 1 tsp vegetable oil + ¼ tsp sesame oil + ¼ tsp salt + ¼ tsp sugar DIPPING SAUCE: 1 tbsp soy + 1 tbsp black vinegar or just any vinegar + few drops of chilli oil Oil to spray for the steamers
We recommend comfortable clothing and closed-toed shoes. It’s a great idea to tie your hair back if it’s long too. We’ll have aprons and chef hats for the whole team if you let us know so we can organise them!
From 10+ years old
Vendor since 2020
Otao kitchen was launched in Richmond, Melbourne, Australia in July 2014, with the goal of celebrating the rich and varied cooking experiences of Melbourne’s immigrant multicultural communities. Its founder, Chef Ha Nguyen, originally from Hanoi shares his passion for food, instructing customers in the exotic diaspora of Asian and around the world cuisine.
Today our guests can get inspired by cooking with our local and international chefs, listen to their cooking and travel experiences in Asia and around the world and bring some cooking and cultural tips and tricks home. With the nods at the diversity of communities within Melbourne, Otao kitchen features an array of food experiences on Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Dumplings, Indian, Korean, Indonesian, as well as French, Italian, Spanish, Mexican cuisines and more.
In 2020 with the challenge of global Covid 19 pandemic, we set out to capture the curriculum of our hands-cooking classes and deliver it online to home cooks in Australia and across the world to guide you to cooking success and better health.
Otao kitchen is named after Ông Táo, the Vietnamese Kitchen God. Ông Táo is regarded as the advocate of Vietnamese families to the gods and a messenger between Heaven and Earth. In preparation for a prosperous year, Vietnamese families clean their homes and polish their silver. During the New Year celebrations, Ông Táo comes to serve as the Kitchen God to Vietnamese families. As the old year ends, he flys back to Heaven on a magic carp reporting on each family’s life and experiences over the past year to the Jade Emperor, the King of Heaven. Ông Táo is regarded as a family member and various prayers and offerings are brought to him at the family altar.
Otao Kitchen aims to increase the accessibility of healthy food options with hands-on cooking. Our cooking classes offer you an intelligent, thoughtful and authentic cooking experience - that is fun, adventurous and suitable for people of all ages, teams, work party, backgrounds or levels of cooking skills. The skills you will learn are fully transferable to your own kitchen and we look forward to hearing and seeing what you create at home after the classes.
For face-to-face cooking classes visit https://otaokitchen.com.au
For online cooking classes and portal visit http://homecookinglive.com
- Refund and transfer requests. Refunds, transfers or credit will not be processed if you cancel within 48 hours of the class or event commencing. To request a refund or transfer, Otao kitchen requires at least 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to organise.
- Partial refunds. Otao kitchen has the right to issue a partial refund, (i.e., A % of the total order) and to retain any booking and processing fees associated with the order.
- Missed classes. Otao kitchen does not offer refunds, transfers, or makeup sessions for missed classes. If you can't make a class, you can arrange with Otao kitchen to send someone else in your place.
- Cancelled class/event. In the event that a class is cancelled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Otao kitchen or organised by Otao kitchen must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Otao kitchen
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Otao kitchen unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Otao kitchen classes and events or on Otao kitchen premises. (For use of Otao kitchen marketing materials).
Otao kitchen requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit.
In the event that a class is cancelled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.