Linden New Art
LINDEN NEW ART is a public gallery that specializes in displaying new contemporary art.
The gallery opened to the public in 1986 and is located in the seaside suburb of St Kilda. Housed in a Victorian mansion, Linden’s grand domestic building makes it a unique place to see, explore and discuss contemporary art. Our annual exhibition program features work from artists across Australia and overseas. Exhibitions change every eight weeks and are supported by a range of dynamic programs to allow for visitors to learn about, debate and question contemporary art. Opportunities to and meet artists and curators are regular features of our programs.
ABOUT THE BUILDING
Linden’s grand Victorian architecture was commissioned by Moritz Michaelis in the mid 1800s. Michaelis arrived in Australia in 1853 and set up a successful business during Melbourne Gold Rush.
The architect AF Kursteiner designed the two storied mansion to be a grand family residence. It was built between 1855 and 1885. The curator of the Royal Botanic Gardens in Melbourne, William Guilfoyle designed the extensive gardens that originally surrounded the property.
The house remained in the Michaelis family for many decades and in 1957 the Michaelis family sold the house and it became a private hotel known as Linden Court.
Linden Court was operated by migrants Theodour and Alice van Veenendaal until it was sold to council. In 1983 it was purchased by the St Kilda City Council and Linden Arts Centre and Gallery were opened in late 1986.
LINDEN NEW ART Bookings & Cancelations Policy
By making this booking, you are agreeing to the following conditions:
- Refund requests must be made in writing (via email to email@example.com) more than 48 hours prior to the commencement of the scheduled class or event.
- Cancellations within 48 hours of the scheduled class or event, or non-attendance, will forfeit your entire fee paid.
- Tickets are non-transferrable within 48 hours of scheduled class or event.
- Linden New Art reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any class or event. Your fee will be refunded in full.
- Please note that refunds may take up to two weeks to process.
- All children’s workshop providers hold current Working With Children Checks.
- All event attendees will be added to Linden New Art mailing list.
- All attendees may be photographed at events. If you do not wish to be photographed, please notify staff on the day.
- Please note that children will only be photographed with signed consent by a parent or guardian.
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Linden New Art or organised by Linden New Art must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Linden New Art.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Linden New Art unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Linden New Art classes and events or on Linden New Art's premises. (For use of Linden New Art marketing materials).
Linden New Art requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class for a full refund or transfer.
In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit.