Easter is a time where most Greeks will fast in order to get communion (if you are very traditional that means 40 days on a vegan diet), so it is a huge feast time on Easter Sunday where fasting is over and done with. Most people fast for a week. This therefore means, each family will bake their favourite biscuits, cakes to over indulge in on the Sunday. This can vary from region to region but a few stables remail the same - for instance, kourabiedes (Greek shortbread with almonds), koulouria (tea/coffee biscuit) and melomakarouna (honey cakes).
Baking in this class will certainly include one of the stables but a few extras which will vary in each class to give variety. This class will take approximately 3 - 31/2 hours to complete.
- Bake traditional Greek biscuits
- Increase your baking repertoire
- Introduce you to traditional Easter baking
- All the recipes from the day's baking.
- Coffee and tea when we sit down and taste test everything we make
- A hands on class
comfortable clothing with closed shoes
Vendor since 2013
My name is Nicoletta (Niki) Louca and I look forward to assisting you learn about Greek cuisine and cooking. It is so much more than souvlaki and baklava.
From a very young age my sisters and I were always encouraged (actually forced) to learn to cook from our mother and grandmother. Growing up in a Greek-Cypriot household, it was "our duty" to learn to cook. We were taken to farms to get fresh milk,then take it back home to make fresh haloumi cheese and ‘anari’ – ricotta cheese.
I then decided I should do something with this passion, so I opened my own café and catering business from scratch. I did that for a number of years and have since sold the business. I am still involved with food, by way of private catering and private teaching in Greek cooking.
Please find a list of our Terms and Conditions below:
- Class sizes are limited so bookings are essential.
- Class durations are specified in each day
- Full payment must be made at least two weeks before the scheduled class.
- Places in the class are confirmed upon receipt of full payment on a first in first serve basis.
- Payment will not be refunded for cancellations made within ten days of the class commencing.
- Transfers to another class must be made ten days prior to the class that you were booked to attend.
- However, you are welcome to send someone in your place if you are unable to attend your class.
- If due to exceptional circumstances a scheduled class does not run we reserve the right to change the date of the class or to cancel it. A full refund will be given.
- Minimum of 6 people required to run classes.