Does your favourite costume or bead jewellery need some attention?
Do you want to make your own necklaces, bracelets or earrings with some help on hand when you need it?
- fix broken hooks, clasps & strings
- lengthen or shorten
- add or remove beads or combine jewellery pieces to create unique pieces
- learn basic techniques in a relaxed small group
More casual than a formal class, in these sessions you'll work on your own project with guidance & advice as you need it. Bring along costume jewellery pieces you wish to alter or repair, or beads you want to make into earrings/necklace/bracelet.
Some basic tools will be available for you to use – shared among the small group. Claudine will bring a basic tool box of base metal and sterling silver fittings that you can purchase from her to use.
Date: Fridays fortnightly from 10.30am-12.30pm
Fee: $44 per 3 hour session or $120 for a 3 Class Pass (2nd and 3rd classes must be booked directly with Opendrawer at the first class)
Guest Tutor: Claudine McPherson has been beading & making jewellery for 25 years. She currently does all the stringing and repairs for Ashburton jewellery in High Street Ashburton. Claudine's pearl jewellery & her classes in Traditional Pearl Threading are ever-popular at Opendrawer.
Optional Materials: Claudine will bring along a 'tool kit' of base metal and Sterling silver fittings and findings for you to use and which you can purchase from her.
This clinic takes place fortnightly on Fridays 10.30-12.30. Purchase a single clinic for $44 or a 3 Class Pass for $120 (2nd and 3rd classes must be booked directly with Opendrawer at the first class).
- Changing clasps, jump rings or hooks on earrings & making basic bead earrings
- Re-threading basic necklaces on wire, using crimps & adding length or shortening (where possible)
- Ongoing expert help & advice on materials, techniques, equipment & suppliers
- Learn by doing. Gain the skills to repair, remodel or make your own jewellery 'from scratch'.
- Complete one or more projects over one session or several. Casual classes to suit your busy lifestyle.
- A flexible, relaxed space to work on your own project in the company of a small group of other makers
- Any beads, strings, or other bits & pieces you have purchased for your project
- (optional) if you have any pliers or other jewellery making tools, please bring them along
- Any project (e.g. necklace or earrings) you would like to remodel or repair
- Your glasses, if you wear them for close work
- Good manual dexterity is required for beading - call us for advice if you have any issues using your hands
Comfortable clothes for sitting and crafting
Adults 15 years & older who want to repair or make beaded & costume jewellery
Vendor sincce 2015
Be enticed by the colour and texture of Opendrawer. Founded by Robyn Steel-Stickland (& co.) in 2010, we've been described as edgy, arty, elegant, unique and quirky. Part gallery shop for handmade artist product from all around Australia. Part vintage and textile art supply wonderland. Part workshop for people of all skill levels. All creativity hub.
At Opendrawer, you'll learn skills, techniques and ideas that encourage you to find your own creativity.
You can enrol in courses or workshops in felt, creativity, sewing, embroidery, book making, crochet, dyeing, drawing, jewellery making, paper sculpture, art & design, mixed media, and more.
We're open to expressions of interest, so let us know if there's something you want to learn.
If for any reason you decide that the workshop you have done or are doing does not suit you, then that is a personal decision and no refund will be given.
If Opendrawer cancels a workshop, you will be given a full refunds or can choose a replacement workshop to the same value as the workshop being cancelled. You will be notified at least 2 days before the due date of the workshop if cancellation is necessary due to insufficient enrolments.
A $10 admin fee applies to all changes of date/workshop bookings.
Cancellations made within two weeks of the booked workshop will forfeit 50% of the advertised fee - or you may find a replacement student.
Cancellations made within 24 hours of the workshop will forfeit the full advertised fee - or you may find a replacement student.
If for any reason you decide that the workshop you have done or are doing does not suit your, then that is a personal decision and no refund will be given.
A minimum of five people are required for a workshop to run. Opendrawer reserves the right to cancel a workshop if the minimum booking is not achieved. Full refunds will be given or a replacement workshop offered to the same value as the workshop being cancelled. You will be notified at least 2 days before the due date of the workshop if cancellation is deemed necessary.Unfortunately, due to the workshop timetable no makeup classes are avaiable.