At best Burgundy (the home of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay) produces some of the most seductive and interesting wines found anywhere in the world. The region, located south of Paris, is one of the most complicated and at times frustrating regions for consumers to understand. The vineyards of Burgundy (in all but a few cases) are split up amongst many different producers which leads to problems in that no matter how good the reputation of the vineyard, producers vary, and two wines from the same vineyard made by different people will not be the same. It is therefore important when buying wine from this part of the world, you know, or know someone who knows, the good producers from the bad. Let Roscoe Halligan and Sebastian Zotti guide you through the ins and outs over two weeks with this in-depth course from the villages level wines to the great premier and grand crus.
It is recommended attendees have completed the PWS French Wine Course or have extensive knowledge of French wine before completing this Burgundy Masterclass. This course assumes a basic understanding of French wine laws and a general understanding of French wine regions.
Class Date: 5th-August-2017 Time: 11:30AM – 4:00PM 11:30-1:30 Burgundy Wine Laws & Geography. White wines of Chablis & Cotes de Beaune (Session 1) Lunch Provided 2:00pm – 4:00pm the Geography and red wines of the Cotes de Nuits (session 2)
- A detailed understanding of geography, and wine laws governing the region of Burgundy and the Grand Cru System, and understanding of the wines from the major districts of the Cote d’Or through detailed guided tastings including
- Deep understanding of the styles and quality of the wines of Burgundy through detailed comparative tastings across all quality levels from basic Burgundy through to the top Grand Cru vineyards
- Detailed guided tastings of the white and red wines of Burgundy
- Provided with guided wine tastings facilitated by our industry leading staff (minimum 8 wines per session) with lunch.
- We use premium benchmark wines valued at over $5000 for the course.
- Detailed notes and maps of the wine region of Burgundy
- Session One deals with the white wines of Chablis & the Cotes de Beaune.
- Part two deals with the red wines of the Cote de Nuits and the Cotes de Beaune.
- Notepad & Pens
- Your enthusiasm!
- We recommend you have completed the PWS French Wine Course or have extensive knowledge of French wine
- We recommend public transport for responsible driving.
Anyone with an interest in French wine or wine in general. (please note this course is only available for those over the ages of 18 and legal photo ID must be provided)
Vendor since 2013
Prince Wine Store was established in 1997 and is Australia’s leading Fine Wine Retailer, specialising in fine wine from Europe, America and Australia. We offer an array of courses to suit those who have just commenced their wine education (our PWS Introductory Wine Course is a perfect starting point) and to professionals seeking industry recognition (via the Wine and Spirits Education Trust qualifications).
Partners at the Prince Wine Store – Michael McNamara and Alex Wilcox – have developed, over the past 15 years, wine courses that are inspired by their travels to significant wine regions around the world.
The Prince Wine Store Courses offered are an Introductory Wine Course, French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese Wine Courses and an intensive two-week course: Burgundy and a special Barolo Master Class/Dinner. These courses are taught by the owners and members of staff and offer an informal but informative way to learn about wine. Finally, it's important to stress that one of the key aspects to all the Prince Wine Store courses is that we always use bench-mark wine examples in the curriculum.