Green Fleet – extending beyond TACKERS. Now available at Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron, St.Kilda and includes a Junior RMYS membership.
This coaching program is suitable for kids up to 14 who have participated in any Tackers 3 or other dinghy course and are now on their way toward sailing independently and racing.
Using Opti Tackers boats or the Academy X3 Extremes we’ll learn new skills (and consolidate olds ones) including how to start a race (understanding race start flags) and participate in your first real practice races, race a triangular course, how to sail a trapezoid course, set your sail better on the water, how to power up and depower the sail, understand the adjust controls, rounding a racing mark, kiting downwind, understand some more sailing rules and much more.
We aim to create a coaching group aimed at having fun and becoming confident in our sailing.
We also plan to go to a junior coaching regatta using our RMYS Opti tackers - subject to some parental help.
St. Kilda harbour is a really great place to sail because you can swim, muck around on the sandy beach and maybe see a penguin or dolphin.
The wind is better because it's on the bay and sometimes we have a few small waves to surf on.
This program runs for six sessions and is hosted by Yachting Australia qualified instructors.
More About TACKERS
TACKERS is the new Yachting Australia junior learn to sail program for kids aged 7 to 12 years. Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron at St.Kilda is a TACKERS centre and has been teaching kids to sail for over 50 years.
The TACKERS program is a great way for kids to learn to sail. Here's a few highlights:
- TACKERS is aimed at kids having fun in boats, rather than traditional learn to sail programs
- Learning is graduated according to kids development and confidence; they can work through TACKERS 1, 2 and 3
- The program is mapped out with both learning milestones as well as games and activities
- TACKERS is taught by qualified sailing instructors accredited by Yachting Australia; our national sailing organisation
- TACKERS programs use the OPTI sailing dinghy, an easy to handle and set up version of the International Optimist dinghy.This creates a pathway into junior racing in the Optimist dinghy if interest develops.
St.Kilda is a great place for kids to learn to sail, because it has a protected harbour and a sandy beach on Port Phillip. We have consistent winds and as skill levels increase, kids get a taste of sailing conditions on the bay under instructor supervision. We even have dolphin visitors and resident Little Penguins.
- How to steer
- How to sail a course
- How to make your Opti do what you want it to do
- TACKERS participation pack
- Junior Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron membership valued at $93
- $6 Yachting Australia Student Training course insurance
- According to the conditions, wet weather gear
- Long sleeve sun protection or thermal top
- Footwear (non-marking deck shoes such as Dunlop Volleys)
- Sunhat or beanie
- Water bottle
Open to children from 7 to 14 years who have completed Tackers 3 or a recognised dinghy sailing course.
Vendor since 2012
The Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron, with a history of over 120 years, is one of the oldest yacht clubs in Victoria with a long list of historical firsts.
Situated at St. Kilda in close proximity to Melbourne central business district, it is regarded as the centre of aquatic events in Victoria.
Most major championships have been held off its shores and the Squadron was the control centre for the 1956 Melbourne Olympic yachting events.
It is a club of which every member has reason to be proud and has a tradition, which every member has an obligation to uphold.
Refund policy: No refunds are provided after the commencement of the course. Cancellation of any session due to bad weather or other reason will be made up with alternative day(s) nominated by Royal Melbourne Sail Training Academy. Cancellation fees will apply for any booking cancellation made prior to commencement of the course as follows: Three or more day’s prior Full Refund less a 10% booking fee. Within 72 hours of commencement 75 % refund; within 48 hours of commencement 50 % refund; within 24 hours of commencement 30 % refund.