The Better Sailing dinghy course is an intermediate skills learn-to-sail course, which is both fun and instructional. This five session course (3 hour sessions) is suitable for previous learn to sail students of all ages with training conducted in off -the-beach racing dinghies such as Pacers.
In particular this course allows for understanding of spinnaker usage and the refinement of sailing skills learned in the Start Sailing 2 course. As students alternate the role skipper & crew, the course provides a solid grounding to further adult/youth racing in dinghies. The Better Sailing course is part of the nationally recognised Yachting Australia Dinghy Program and is delivered by accredited sailing instructors.
Better Sailing course syllabus
- Rigging: Complete rigging without assistance. Rigging a spinnaker
- Sailing Techniques and Maneuvers: Roll tacking and spinnaker handling on a triangle course in light to moderate conditions. Controlling boat speed by sailing backwards, stopping and starting
- Launching and Recovery: Care of equipment including the spinnaker. Bring boat alongside a fixed Launching and Recovery: Care of equipment including the spinnaker./ moored / anchored structure with minimum assistance
- Sailing Theory and Background: Observation of local bouyage requirements. Common buoyage methods and meanings. Identify sailing risks due to environmental hazards. Methods of injury prevention
- Meteorology: Identify sources of weather information. Read weather reports and maps
- Winds, Tides and Currents: Lifts and knocks. Sea breeze and land breeze formation patterns. The "Twelfths Rule" and its relationship to tidal flow
About Dinghy Courses: Adult & Youth Learn to Sail
We offer a full range of dinghy sailing courses. Our location at St.Kilda is ideal for dinghy sailing with beach launching, a sheltered harbour on Port Phillip and consistent sea breezes.
Whether you have never sailed before, or if you have lots of experience but are just looking to hone specific skills, there is a course for you.These group lessons are suitable for young people 12 years and up, and adults of all ages. For youth and adult dinghy training we use X3 Extreme, Pacer & Heron dinghies.
- Complete rigging without assistance - Rigging a spinnaker.
- Sailing Techniques and Maneuvers - Controlling boat speed by sailing backwards, stopping and starting.
- Launching and Recovery - Care of equipment including the spinnaker.
- Yachting Australia certificate
- Optional wetsuit hire is $40 per course
- All safety equipment is provided
- The Squadron has full change room facilities with hot showers
- Wet weather gear
- Wet suit (recommended - can be hired)
- Footwear (old sandshoes, or wet suit booties – no thongs)
- Sun hat with lanyard
- Change of clothes
- Water bottle etc.
Suitable for previous learn to sail students of all ages with training conducted in off-the-beach racing dinghies such as Pacers.
Vendor sincce 2012
The Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron, with a history of over 120 years, is one of the oldest yacht clubs in Victoria with a long list of historical firsts.
Situated at St. Kilda in close proximity to Melbourne central business district, it is regarded as the centre of aquatic events in Victoria.
Most major championships have been held off its shores and the Squadron was the control centre for the 1956 Melbourne Olympic yachting events.
It is a club of which every member has reason to be proud and has a tradition, which every member has an obligation to uphold.
Refund policy: No refunds are provided after the commencement of the course. Cancellation of any session due to bad weather or other reason will be made up with alternative day(s) nominated by Royal Melbourne Sail Training Academy. Cancellation fees will apply for any booking cancellation made prior to commencement of the course as follows: Three or more day’s prior Full Refund less a 10% booking fee. Within 72 hours of commencement 75 % refund; within 48 hours of commencement 50 % refund; within 24 hours of commencement 30 % refund.