- Two sessions: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM on Wednesday 11 January & Thursday 12 January 2017 OR Saturday 29 April & Saturday 6 May 2017
- Duration: 7 hours each session (14 total)
What You Will Learn
- Two full-day sessions, taking you from the basics of dog health, work safety and care through to more specific understanding of dog behaviour and training techniques
- Session one: Caring for Dogs -- how to work safely with dogs; common health issues, basic nutrition; breed identification; and equipment used
- Session two: Understanding Dog Behaviour -- identify dog behaviours and their development; how to train skills and new behaviours in the dogs with which you live and work; an overview of training methods
What You Get
- A hands-on, practical class – meet and work with our Education dogs as well as and industry experts and qualified trainers
- Detailed course manual to take home
- RSPCA take home bag
- An engaging and informative session to increase your knowledge and skills
- Certificate of Attendance
- Complimentary morning and afternoon tea
Gain a solid understanding of dogs, their care and their behaviours with our Caring for Dogs session, following by a more in-depth session on understanding dog behaviour and training.
Learn to identify different dog breeds, understand common health issues and basic nutrition as well as how to work with dogs safely. Then take your knowledge to the next level to identify and learn about the behaviours we see in dogs and the basis behind them. Develop the skills to create and use positive training techniques to enhance your working relationship with dogs, and learn how to train skills and new behaviours in the dogs with which you live and work.
Our programs are tailored for those wanting to enter the animal industry or already working within this field, as well as helping people to increase skills with their own pets.
This course can be completed as a standalone session, or as a follow up to our Caring for Dogs foundation course.
- Please arrive at the Burwood East Education Centre 10 minutes before your class to register and so that we can start on time. Parking is available on site.
- Meet and work with our experienced Education staff and their animals, along with industry experts, throughout the session for practical, hands-on skill development.
- Work through a detailed course book (yours to keep) with theoretical, scientific and clinical information based on our years of experience in animal welfare and caring for dogs.
- BYO lunch or take advantage of our fantastic on-site café and $10 student lunch special.
- We may be spending some time outside and touring around, so please bring weather appropriate clothing.