Tackers 1 & 2 Learn to Sail Programs
Tackers is a fun, introductory, games-based sailing program designed for kids aged 7-12 years, delivered at recognised Tackers Clubs. Kids don’t need to have any sailing experience or club membership to participate. All the equipment, including the boats, is provided.
- Parents are most welcome to stay and watch but equally, if they need to be elsewhere that’s fine. Their children will be VERY busy!
- Tackers trainers are very skilled in games to take care of bad weather days. So the program will run regardless of the weather
- Participants should bring a wetsuit if they have one or warm clothes/thermals. They will get wet! Wetsuit boots or sports shoes. A hat and sun screen. A towel and warm clothes to change into
Tackers 1 – Having Fun covers
- Boat Handling (capsizing, steering, avoiding collisions, basic sailing)
- Rules& Safety (life jackets, rescue drills, understanding basic right of way rules)
- Sailing Theory (wind direction, wind strength, basic sailing theory, care of boats on the water.)
Tackers 2 – Tricks and Techniques covers
- Boat Handling (sailing upwind, gybing safely, use the tiller extension, downwind sailing with centreboard up)
- Rules & Safety (capsize and recover unassisted, demonstrate rules of the road
- Sailing Theory & Background (rig your boat, more sailing terminology, wind awareness)
Some ability to swim would be preferable, however they will be wearing lifejackets at all times. In the first session, the instructors supervise the group in a 25-metre swim with their lifejackets on. Parents/guardians are encouraged to talk to the Tackers Club Leader or the Tackers Instructor if they have any concerns.
When kids start sailing in Tackers 1 they will be sailing in pairs. There are usually 6-10 boats in a group and there will be an Instructor and an Assistant Instructor in a safety boat supervising the group. The safety boat stays on the water all the time the kids are sailing.
24th – 27th September School Holidays Session Times: Tackers 1 – 09.00 to 15.00
- Boat Handling
- Rules & Safety
- Sailing Theory
- Expert tuition from an expert coach
- All the equipment, including the boats, is provided
- A change of clothes & shoes
- Drink bottle, lunch & snacks
- Hat - to keep you warm and/or a hat to keep the sun off
- ...and loads of energy!
Wear ones you don't mind getting wet and will keep you warm on cold days
Kids aged 7-12 years