Private Sewing Classes for Beginners to Advanced (2 Hours)
Learn to sew in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. This course is suitable for absolute beginners or as a refresher course for those who are returning to sewing after a long break. We will go over how to use your sewing machine and look at the special features of the machine and how to use them effectively.
If you are an absoulte beginner in the first lesson:
- You will learn how to thread and wind a bobbin
- Sewing straight lines of sewing
- Basic seam construction and neatening techniques
From the second lesson you will begin a project of you own choice.
Examples of suitable beginners projects:
Pyjama pants or shorts, simple skirt, simple shift style dress, cushions, pencil case etc
You will learn
- Quick tips and many user-friendly techniques for pinning, cutting, through to construction and pressing.
These classes are based around the use of commercial patterns, with an aim to simplify the instructions that come with them. This includes an understanding of the symbols found on the patterns, making alterations or fitting adjustments as required to get the correct fit.
From absolute beginners to “rusty” sewers, through to sewers already on the go that are lacking courage to start a project, these classes aim to extend your skills and knowledge of finishing off, tailoring, lining garments etc, whatever you wish to try, or feel you need to brush-up on , or need help with.
Individual private tuition.
- Basic beginners
- Classes for junior’s,
- Secondary students or
- Adults of all ages.
- Note: I can come to you for a private lesson. If more than 5 kilometeres from Brighton please note there will be a travel charge.
Each person can choose their own project and work in an unstructured relaxed atmosphere.
In these classes, you will be taught basic sewing methods based on your individual needs.
Using Industrial shortcuts adapted for the home machine – enabling you to have a full understanding of construction methods, materials, and the sewing machine.
Students to provide all materials, patterns, sewing machine and notions. I have a few machines that can be used if you have not yet purchased a machine.
Please contact me to organise a time to suit
- Sewing straight and curved lines of sewing and using sewing machine
- Quick tips and many user-friendly techniques for pinning, cutting, through to quality construction techniques and pressing.
- Basic seam construction and neatening techniques suited to your project
- After the first beginners lesson you will know how to use your sewing machine effectively
- A series of samplers using various machine sewing and neatening techniques
- Individual instruction, to ensure personal attention
- Completed Garments that fit you well.
- Life skills to complete professional and quality pieces in the future
- Professional sewing advice in using best techniques for your project.
- Great experience and leave with a smile on your face.
- Students to provide all materials, patterns, sewing machine and notions. You need a basic sewing kit consisting of:
- Notebook and pen
- Tape measure
- Fabric dressmakers scissors
- paper scissors
- grease proof paper (from IGA supermarkets multix or black and gold) or tracing paper to trace pattern pieces
- Packet of Schmetz Universal no. 12/80 machine needles
- Packet of glass head dressmakers pins (extra long and thin) (Korbond brand from Coles supermarkets are good) please do not buy pearl head pins as they are very poor quality and often blunt.
- Gutermann sewing thread – white or black or to match fabric
- Quick unpick
- marking / tracing wheel ( to use with dressmakers carbon paper)
- 50 cm iron on medium weight interfacing or shapewell non iron
- Janome plastic bobbin if you are using my machine
- pattern and notions (beginners choose very easy or simple patterns)
- Frixion (Pilot) pens in a couple of light and dark colours (available at Officeworks)
- 50cm of calico fabric or scrap fabric
- dressmakers carbon paper (I recommend the ‘Burda’ Dressmakers carbon paper)
- Packet of hand sewing needles Sharps (mixed sizes)
- 2 bobbins (to suit your machine) or Janome bobbins if using class machine
Absolute Beginners to Advanced Level
Vendor since 2015
Hi my name is Sue Murphy. I am passionate about sewing and teaching sewing. I grew up making all my doll’s clothes and my own clothes. I love to teach my students the best sewing construction and neatening methods to use and how to achieve quality garments that look professional and fit well. I run Sewing Classes in my home in Brighton (or I can come to you if you are in the Bayside area).