She Skills loves to upcycle and pallets are a fantastic source of cheap (and sometimes free) timber. In this full day class, you will learn how to safely deconstruct pallets and build a small outdoor table or vertical planter that will look great on your balcony or deck.
You will use a range of hand and power tools and in a safe, encouraging environment with other like minded women. We'll provide all the timber and and a range of consumables (screws, sandpaper, glue etc). This is an intermediate class for those who have completed our introductory workshop or have some experience using tools (drills, sanders and saws). It is a physically demanding day and you must be prepared to sweat!!
She Skills is building a community of confident and capable women, who are happy to get outside their comfort zone and take on a challenge. Our workshops are designed by women, for women. We aim to provide you with the skills and confidence to imagine, design and create great things. We are proud members of the Maker Movement. In a world of rampant consumption and keeping up with the latest trends on Instagram, the simple art of making something with your own hands can bring you immeasurable pleasure. And if it’s made well, it might just last you a lifetime.
This class takes place on Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00am-5:00pm (or until you complete your project).
- Hand and power tool knowledge and skills with experienced instructors
- Safe deconstruction of pallets
- Planning, drawing and measuring skills
- Confidence and skills to create your own projects
- Tea, coffee, snacks and lunch in the She Shed
- Your very own upcycled pallet creation
- We provide all the tools, materials and safety gear. If you've got a drill (or some other tool) at home and you'd like a few pointers on how to use it, feel free to bring it along.
- A water bottle. It's hot work in the She Shed!!
- If you sweat a lot, a small towel.
Comfortable, well-fitted clothing. Shorts, jeans and a t-shirt. Protective hard top shoes are required to be worn (ie hiking boots, leather joggers). If you don't have your own pair, you can borrow a pair of steel caps from us.
She Skills workshops are FOR WOMEN AGED 15-115. This class is suitable for women that have completed our introductory class or have some experience using power tools.
Vendor sincce 2016
She Skills is a collaboration between partners in life and work, Meg and Clint Solly, whose creative credentials go way back. Team Solly has been a creative force since 2000, when they met as performers.
Clint is a qualified furniture tradesperson with 20 years experience building everything from solid timber furniture to theatrical sets.
Meg has been Clint's trusty trades assistant for many years and is now officially an apprentice cabinet maker. Meg has worked on large construction projects around the country.
Together they have years of experience in training people of all ages. She Skills is a passion project that challenges stereotypes and helps women to find a new confidence to try skills that they previously thought were beyond their capabilities.
Cancelling your spot in a class
- Bookings are final. Please double check the date of the workshop before booking. Cancellations will result in forfeit of payment.
- In general, bookings are transferrable to a new date (for the same class) provided you give us at least 72 hours notice.
- You may offer your spot to a friend, we will transfer the booking into their name (you must arrange any transfer of money between yourself and your friend).
- Non-attendance under any circumstances forfeits the fee paid and is non-transferable.
- Cancellation of one-off workshops or workshops that are not held on a regular basis are strictly non-refundable or transferable.
If we cancel a class
- All classes require a minimum number of bookings to proceed. Minimum numbers vary from class to class. Classes that do not have the required minimum will be cancelled.
- Participants will be notified 48 hours prior to the start of the class and will be offered the choice of having their spot transfered to the next available class, a credit to be used towards another class or a full refund.
- If a teacher is unable to attend a class due to illness or other extreme circumstances we will postpone the class to a later date and inform you as early as possible.
- We can not be held liable for any travel or other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- We do our best to ensure classes go ahead.
© 2017 She Skills. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.
Health and Safety
She Skills takes the safety and wellbeing of our students very seriously. We carry public liability insurance and carry out risk assessments prior to every workshop. You understand the inherently risky nature of activities that you will undertake at She Skills and agree to:
- follow all reasonable instructions given by She Skills personnel/sub-contractors
- work within your limits and advise She Skills personnel if you are not comfortable performing a task
- advise She Skills of any illness/injury which may inhibit your ability to undertake the workshop so that we can work together to find a safe alternative to complete the tasks
She Skills is focused on increasing and improving the representation of women in non-traditional roles, whether that be in a domestic or vocational capacity. By sharing the images of women of all ages and abilities undertaking tasks that have traditionally been seen as masculine, we believe we are contributing to a future of greater choice for women (and men). We love to take lots of photographs and share them on our social media channels and we love it when our students share too!!
By participating in a She Skills workshop, you understand that your image may be used in She Skills social media, third parties and media and promotional material. However, we also respect your right to privacy, so if you are uncomfortable having your picture taken and shared online, please let the instructor know on the day of your workshop.
By participating in a She Skills workshop, you agree to receive the She Skills newsletter. Don't worry, we hate spam too and we will never share your information with any other organisation. You can unsubscribe at any time
Should you have any questions about any of these terms and conditions, please don't hesitate to contact us.