This class provides you with a hands on learning experience with bees while being guided by an expert in back yard bees. Josh will teach you everything you need to know to be making honey by the Litre!
This class includes both theory and practice which allows you to put a suit on and open up a hive! Josh will also show you the bees and the make up of the hive and colony.
The class covers all aspects of setting up and managing a bee colony in your own backyard. This is a fantastic class especially if you are new to bees because we take you through the husbandry, safety, honey extraction, hive selection, swarm and queen selection!
The aim is for participants to gain a basic knowledge of honeybees and the methods of keeping them in a backyard environment.
We will provide you with the protective gear to wear for the class! However if you wish to bring your won suit, it must be brand new for hive hygiene purposes. Please be sure to wear closed shoes that come to ankle height or thick socks.
Some things you will learn:
- Honey bee biology and behaviour
- Equipment for starting up a beehive we will demonstrate the different sorts of hives people are using
- Regulations and location placement
- Hygiene, diseases and prevention
- Swarm capture, cut-outs and splits
- Honey extraction
- And lots, lots more.
You'll be making your own honey in know time! So many of our participants have gone on to get their hive set up. If you've ever been curious about beekeeping, this is the class for you!
- How to get started with backyard beekeeping
- How to manage your hive and extract the good stuff
- About pests and diseases
- Detailed notes for the class....plus a super yummy arvo tea!
- Plain language instruction on how and where to get a hive
- Practical experience up close to the hive (protective suits provided)
- You will need to bring loose clothing and advise us of any allergies prior to the class (especially allergies to bees!)
- Please wear closed shoes that are at least ankle height or thick socks.
Casual loose fitting clothes
Anyone interested in beekeeping
Vendor since 2016
Get your skills at www.skill-shop.com.au
The skill-shop provides hard to get and quality skills.
With its headquarters in Western Victoria - we seek to provide opportunities for people living regionally to be part of exciting workshops and classes that typically might not be available. We also seek to give people from cities and regional centres an opportunity to see some amazing places while growing a new skill.
Many of our classes are based at the Hamilton Insititute of Rural Learning (HIRL). HIRL is an amazing venue spread across 15 acres and bordering a 100 acre Eastern Barred Bandicoot recovery enclosure. It is the perfect place to connect in community and learn together. http://www.hirl.org.au/
Anyone participating in any classes or coming to any events at Skill Shop or organised by Skill Shop must agree to these terms and conditions.
1) LIABILITY WAIVER
- Any damage, loss or theft incurred to personal property brought into Skill Shop’s premises.
- Any physical injuries sustained as a result of participating in any class or event organised by Skill Shop.
The Skill Shop provides classes taught by people with real industry skills. Our classes are about participation, fun and learning.
Our classes are non-accredited, they don’t give you any ‘licences to drive’ so repeat after me……. I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by the Skill Shop.
2) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Skill Shop unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Skill Shop classes and events or on Skill Shop’s premises.
We only use these through newsletters and social media – if you have a real problem with it, just let us know before class.
Skill Shop requires 72 hours notice in writing prior to the class for a full refund. Just let us know at email@example.com. If you miss the deadline, consider paying your ticket forward to a friend.
At the Skill Shop we do our very best to ensure all scheduled classes run. Sometimes life happens and we may need to cancel if there is an illness or we just don’t get enough participants for the class.
We try to have at least 5 in any class – but if we have to cancel we’ll let you know via email and SMS as soon as possible. A full refund or credit will be issued.