Please note: The courses on this page are at Intermediate level. You should have completed at least two terms with us (or elsewhere) at Beginner's level. If you are unsure of your level please ring us on 99437844 to discuss before you book as we do not give refund
Do you wish to expand your knowledge of techniques and of making more complex forms? Do you wish to design your own forms? These eight-week courses for Intermediate and above levels are offered four times per year and develop your skills to extend your range of forms and encourage more individual design and expression. Students attend once per week and have the option to hold their place from term to term as a continuing student. Our loyalty program enables continuing students to receive 6 hours of extra studio time per term to practice, including unlimited clay* (worth $60 + clay)
Experienced teacher, ceramic artist and Slow Clay Centre director Jane Sawyer, guides students to develop expression whilst developing skills. Slow Clay Centre specialises in teaching Japanese techniques to beginners and our intermediate classes build upon this whilst introducing other techniques as and when appropriate for individual design needs. Intermediate students are taught both as a group and also individually whilst also working on personal designs and to explore more complex forms. Students start to design their own forms and begin to discover their unique language of touch.
All students are able to glaze their own work and must return to collect it after firing a few weeks later (please note we do not hold work for more than 4 weeks).
* Loyalty rewards: We love to see people develop and working on the potter's wheel requires repetition and persistence! We focus on sound techniques and developing a deep understanding of clay and your relationship to it through your sense of touch. We, therefore, suggest to students who love it to be prepared to return and we offer an attractive loyalty program to continuing students which consists of 2 x free Studio Access Times (SATs) per term. This means 6 hours free studio time plus unlimited clay! SATs are held Mon/Tues 12 -3pm and Friday/Saturday 10am-1pm. Note: Occasionally we need to cancel SATs due to conflicting events and we post cancellations on our Facebook page.
The tuition fee is fully inclusive of unlimited clay, glaze materials and full use of all studio tools and facilities, ie: no hidden fees. Firing of anything you wish to keep is an extra charge of $8.50 per kilo due upon collection. Bookings online can be with 20% deposit or ring the office on 99437844 to book manually and avoid the online booking fees.
- Please choose your classes carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course.
- Pottery is a physical activity. Please ask us if you have pre-existing injuries or weaknesses in your upper body joints.
- Please note: when paying by deposit online the balance is automatically deducted from the same credit card three weeks before the course start date through our booking agency We Teach Me. If you pay the deposit online and ring us before the three-week deadline you will be able to avoid the automatic balance payment and the extra booking fee. Our office phone is manned Weds - Fri 10am - 5pm. Ph: 03 99437844.
This course comprises 8 x 2hour classes, once a week for 8 weeks. There are four options: Monday 10am and 6.30pm and Tuesday 10am and 6.30pm. Please choose your class carefully from the top right drop down menu.
- Develop the ʻpower of slowʼ where movements are planned to be economical whilst having the most effect.
- Design your own forms and develop your unique sense of touch
- Develop new skills and build upon past ones using a range of techniques that are ergonomically sound
- Knowledge and practice of more complex forms and choosing appropriate techniques
- Knowledge and practice in design, development and supportive critique of individual concepts
- A well-chosen group of pieces, finished and glazed
- an old clean towel to each class
- notebook and pen
- camera if you wish
clothes you don't mind getting a bit dirty and sensible shoes! Long hair needs to be tied back.
Vendor sincce 2013
Escape to Slow Clay Centre and learn the art of expression in clay. www.slowclay.com
Slow Clay Centre specialises in ceramics education and offers an extensive variety of ceramics and pottery classes throughout the year. Classes are offered on a weekly basis by the term, intensive weekends and short courses, and a rich variety of one-day guest artist workshops and forums. Catering for mostly adults, from beginners to the more skilled, we also have some kid's classes so everyone can learn the art of working with clay. Our enrolled students have priority to re-enrol each term and take advantage of our generous loyalty program providing free studio access (conditions apply). In this way we can help you to develop your skills to a high level.
Our unique "Slow Clay" method for teaching the pottery wheel, established by Slow Clay Centre director and ceramic artist Jane Sawyer, has been taught for more than twenty years. Based on the Japanese techniques Jane studied as an apprentice in Japan, in combination with western techniques, the "Slow Clay" method offers a synthesis of East and West. It provides ergonomic best-practice and a solid foundation for personal expression and confidence with clay. All our courses offer skill-based learning within a rich framework of art and design enquiry.
Based in a beautiful inner-city studio in Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia, the Slow Clay team consists of leading professional ceramic artists and experienced teachers who offer high-level teaching in a broad variety of topics - see our web site for teacher profiles. Together with other invited professionals for guest artist workshops and forums, we are a vibrant community of enthusiasts.
No matter what level you are, we welcome you to Slow Clay Centre where you can follow your personal pathway with clay!
Please choose your classes carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may share the love and transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course.
Please note: when paying by deposit online the balance is automatically deducted from the same credit card three weeks before the course start date through our booking agency We Teach Me.
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre classes.
- Deposit or full payment (depending on the course) must be made at time of booking.
- Please choose your classes carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course. Please note: when paying by deposit online the balance is automatically deducted from the same credit card three weeks before the course start date through our booking agency We Teach Me.
- Please note that making ceramics on the wheel can be a physically demanding activity and it is usual to feel a little stiff ititially. However, if you have any pre-existing or chronic injuries to your back, shoulders, hips, neck, wrists or elbows you are strongly advised to seek a medical opinion before enrolling as some activities might exacerbate past injuries and we take no responsibility if this occurs. We ask you to fully disclose any prior and/or ongoing injuries that could affect you and your enrolment is acceptance that Slow Clay Centre and/or employees, whether casual, contract, or permanently employed, are not responsible for any exacerbation of past or new injuries.
- All work made during classes is to be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. This is negotiable for advanced students or for studio exhibitions but we ask students to accept that the emphasis of classes is strictly on education rather than on production.
- Teaching fees are fully inclusive of materials but students incur a firing fee based on a current cost of $8.50 per kg weight after gloss firing.
- Collection of fired pieces: Please understand that a large volume of work is produced by students at Slow Clay Centre and that storage is very limited. Therefore students will be notified via email when work is ready to be collected. Work will only be retained for one month following this notification unless other arrangements are made.
These additional conditions apply to all Slow Clay Centre weekly classes.
- Wheel classes: Students are allocated a board and shelf for storage and must contain their work to that space for wet work in progress.
- If needed, you may transfer to a different class time within the same term for no fee - provided there is a place available.
- One missed lesson per term can be made up in any Studio Access Time (SAT) within the term you have booked.
- Studio Access Times (SATs) are available to enrolled weekly students during term times, except those attending Porcelain classes. We offer Monday and Tuesday 12 - 3pm, and Friday and Saturdays 10am-1pm. Cost: $30 for up to three hours, unlimited clay. We reserve the right to cancel any sessions, without notice, that may conflict with other events, although we always try to post on our Facebook page 24 hours prior. Please check www.facebook/slowclay to avoid disappointment.
- Loyalty offer: Continuing students receive two SAT sessions per term FREE (worth $60 plus clay). Only available for enrolled students continuing from one term to another without a break and must be used within the term they are enrolled.
Regarding kids Clay Club:
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre kids Clay Club classes.
- It is your responsibility to clearly report in writing on the enrolment form, any illness or disability that may affect your child's involvement in the Clay Club activities.
- Please sign your children into each class and sign again on pick up.
- Please respect our teachers and be prompt to arrive and collect your children. Do not arrive more than 5 minutes early to class or leave your children more than 5 minutes later than the class end.
- Children are expected to be mature enough to work in a group together respecting everyone's needs and to be polite.