Please note the Earlybird discount price expires 8 weeks before the start date. Bookings are secured with a 30% deposit and the 70% balance is due 4 weeks prior to the start date.
The Weekend Intensive wheel course is held once per term (ie 4 times per year) and is a great alternative to our weekly Slow Clay classes. The Weekend Intensive's are suitable for beginners and intermediate levels and we can occasionally take advanced students who have specific issues they wish to address in their practice. Our ergonomic methods of working on the pottery wheel are based on Japanese techniques. We carefully structure the content for beginners and can tailor individually for experienced levels.
The Weekend Intensives cover the same content as a term course of 8 lessons on the wheel for beginners. Intermediate and more advanced students can work on designing their own forms in more of a mentoring style. The Intensives are great introduction to Slow Clay Centre and to pottery in general and are very popular with people who canʼt enrol in a weekly classe due to work commitments or because they live interstate.
Particpants attend on a Saturday and Sunday, 10am - 4pm. We run an optional glazing class a few weeks later ($30) or we can glaze your pots for you for a $30 fee plus postage.
Please choose your classes carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or if we can fill your place you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course.
Please note: when paying by deposit online the balance is automatically deducted from the same credit card 4 weeks before the course start date through our booking agency We Teach Me or you will be sent a link to click and pay. Dues to limited paces and high demand, if your balance is not paid by the required date we reserve the right to offer your place to someone else.
This course takes place over two days from 10am - 4pm each day.
- Learn the ʻpower of slowʼ where movements are economical whilst having the most effect.
- Learn to make pottery on the wheel using our Slow Clay method, inspired by Japanese techniques that are ergonomically sound
- Learn to trim, decorate and glaze your pieces in an optional glazing class
- a group of pots - the number depends on your capabilities!
- a complete introduction to making pottery on the wheel!
- knowledge of Japanese techniques, uniquely taught at Slow Clay Centre by teachers who were trained in Japan
- Camera, Note book and pen, lunch
Comfortable clothes that you don't mind getting a bit dirty.
Vendor sincce 2013
Escape to Slow Clay Centre and learn the art of expression in clay. www.slowclay.com
Slow Clay Centre specialises in ceramics education and offers an extensive variety of ceramics and pottery classes throughout the year. Classes are offered on a weekly basis by the term, intensive weekends and short courses, and a rich variety of one-day guest artist workshops and forums. Catering for mostly adults, from beginners to the more skilled, we also have some kid's classes so everyone can learn the art of working with clay. Our enrolled students have priority to re-enrol each term and take advantage of our generous loyalty program providing free studio access (conditions apply). In this way we can help you to develop your skills to a high level.
Our unique "Slow Clay" method for teaching the pottery wheel, established by Slow Clay Centre director and ceramic artist Jane Sawyer, has been taught for more than twenty years. Based on the Japanese techniques Jane studied as an apprentice in Japan, in combination with western techniques, the "Slow Clay" method offers a synthesis of East and West. It provides ergonomic best-practice and a solid foundation for personal expression and confidence with clay. All our courses offer skill-based learning within a rich framework of art and design enquiry.
Based in a beautiful inner-city studio in Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia, the Slow Clay team consists of leading professional ceramic artists and experienced teachers who offer high-level teaching in a broad variety of topics - see our web site for teacher profiles. Together with other invited professionals for guest artist workshops and forums, we are a vibrant community of enthusiasts.
No matter what level you are, we welcome you to Slow Clay Centre where you can follow your personal pathway with clay!
Please choose your classes carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may share the love and transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course.
Please note: when paying by deposit online the balance is automatically deducted from the same credit card three weeks before the course start date through our booking agency We Teach Me.
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre classes.
- Deposit or full payment (depending on the course) must be made at time of booking.
- Please choose your classes carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course. Please note: when paying by deposit online the balance is automatically deducted from the same credit card three weeks before the course start date through our booking agency We Teach Me.
- Please note that making ceramics on the wheel can be a physically demanding activity and it is usual to feel a little stiff ititially. However, if you have any pre-existing or chronic injuries to your back, shoulders, hips, neck, wrists or elbows you are strongly advised to seek a medical opinion before enrolling as some activities might exacerbate past injuries and we take no responsibility if this occurs. We ask you to fully disclose any prior and/or ongoing injuries that could affect you and your enrolment is acceptance that Slow Clay Centre and/or employees, whether casual, contract, or permanently employed, are not responsible for any exacerbation of past or new injuries.
- All work made during classes is to be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. This is negotiable for advanced students or for studio exhibitions but we ask students to accept that the emphasis of classes is strictly on education rather than on production.
- Teaching fees are fully inclusive of materials but students incur a firing fee based on a current cost of $8.50 per kg weight after gloss firing.
- Collection of fired pieces: Please understand that a large volume of work is produced by students at Slow Clay Centre and that storage is very limited. Therefore students will be notified via email when work is ready to be collected. Work will only be retained for one month following this notification unless other arrangements are made.
These additional conditions apply to all Slow Clay Centre weekly classes.
- Wheel classes: Students are allocated a board and shelf for storage and must contain their work to that space for wet work in progress.
- If needed, you may transfer to a different class time within the same term for no fee - provided there is a place available.
- One missed lesson per term can be made up in any Studio Access Time (SAT) within the term you have booked.
- Studio Access Times (SATs) are available to enrolled weekly students during term times, except those attending Porcelain classes. We offer Monday and Tuesday 12 - 3pm, and Friday and Saturdays 10am-1pm. Cost: $30 for up to three hours, unlimited clay. We reserve the right to cancel any sessions, without notice, that may conflict with other events, although we always try to post on our Facebook page 24 hours prior. Please check www.facebook/slowclay to avoid disappointment.
- Loyalty offer: Continuing students receive two SAT sessions per term FREE (worth $60 plus clay). Only available for enrolled students continuing from one term to another without a break and must be used within the term they are enrolled.
Regarding kids Clay Club:
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre kids Clay Club classes.
- It is your responsibility to clearly report in writing on the enrolment form, any illness or disability that may affect your child's involvement in the Clay Club activities.
- Please sign your children into each class and sign again on pick up.
- Please respect our teachers and be prompt to arrive and collect your children. Do not arrive more than 5 minutes early to class or leave your children more than 5 minutes later than the class end.
- Children are expected to be mature enough to work in a group together respecting everyone's needs and to be polite.