Primitive Sculptures in Clay is a 1 day immersion sculpture class for beginners in Sydney.
In this workshop, we will explore primitive art and create your own primitive sculptures in clay called Golems. Jewish legend has it that Golems are clay figures brought to life by magic.
The workshop will provide an introduction to the foundational drawing processes which are essential to engaging your imagination and allowing you to create your own primitive/abstract clay figures.
Throughout art history we see similar artefacts and artworks – clay sculptures and figures defined by a primal and primitive universal power – made by artists across time and place.
This art making process is immediate. It comes from your heart and through your hands. Embued with a spiritual quality, Golems are a symbol of our emotional and inner journey and represent the human condition in all its complexity.
After you have completed your clay sculpture works, you will be able to finish your sculpture by casting your artwork in bronze or by firing your work. The course does not include bronze casting or firing fees.
Duration: 6 hours
- Explore primitive art and create your own primitive sculptures in clay called Golems. Jewish legend has it that Golems are clay figures brought to life by magic.
- Introduction to the foundational drawing processes which are essential to engaging your imagination and allowing you to create your own primitive/abstract clay figures.
- Learn how to finish your sculpture artworks by casting your artwork in bronze or by firing your work (cost not included in workshop fee)
- You will create three different primitive sculptures made with clay.
- You will begin an art journal that will document your art making processes.
- You will come away with a variety of resources (books, videos, articles) that will guide and inspire your art making journey.
- You will have access to hire the studio kiln to fire and finish your artworks.
- You will have access to purchase additional materials from our studio storeroom.
- Discount Offer for students - as a student of The Studio of Spontaneous Creativity, if you purchase your art materials from Tilly’s Art & Supplies in Rozelle, you will receive a 10% student discount – just make sure to mention the studio when you go!
- Art journal – A4 size unruled pages
- 2B pencils
- Roll of Chux (cleaning cloth)
- Apron (or old shirt to wear over your clothes)
- 3x plastic shopping bags
- Water spray bottle
- Bottled water & lunch / snacks
Vendor since 2015
Art making is a transformative process
The journey to make art begins with you, the inner part of you. For that which is expressed externally is first conceived from within – from the inner space of you where imagination breathes, waiting to be allowed space to connect externally and make art. To make this kind of art therefore requires transformative methods to awaken your creativity and enable your creative process.
The art we create from our inner landscape becomes a blueprint for our being. This blueprint of art is sung with your voice, discerned with your inner intelligence and made with your creative hands. And this birthing of art becomes part of the evolution of our consciousness. For art has this power.
This is what the Studio of Spontaneous Creativity is all about.
Noula Diamantopoulos (http://nouladiamantopoulos.com) is also the Director of the Mosaic Art School of Sydney (http://mosaicartschoolofsydney.com) and The Corporate Buddha (http://thecorporatebuddha.com.au). She is an exhibiting artist and is represented by Artereal Gallery. She is also on the board of the Metavision Institute, where she received her qualifications in psychotherapy.
To be informed of studio workshops and event updates, please subscribe to our free online newsletter at: http://spontaneouscreativity.com.au/newsletter/
Workshop Cancellation Policy
All workshops run by SpC rely on an accurate attendance count so that we may prepare for you - our attendees, and welcome you to the studio.
We understand that things happen in life and perhaps you can no longer attend a workshop that you have enrolled in and paid for.
We wish to be fair to you and to our teachers and staff who spend time making these workshops run smoothly, so you can have the maximum enjoyment with us.
IN HOUSE WORKSHOPS
If you cannot attend a non-visiting artist/teacher run course (i.e. someone not coming from interstate or overseas) then the school will allow you to transfer to another class.
If you are cancelling prior to 14 days of the course starting, and do not wish to transfer to another class, then a non-refundable administration fee of $35 will apply to one day workshops and $55 for a two day or longer events (e.g. our 5 week courses).
Cancellations made 7 - 14 days before the commencement of the workshop will be charged 50% of the original workshop fee.
No refunds will be available made within 7 days of the workshop.
SPECIAL VISITING ARTIST WORKSHOPS
If you cannot attend a workshop that is being run by a visiting artist/teacher (i.e. someone who is coming from interstate or overseas) then irregardless of the cancellation period we cannot provide a refund.
We will however allow you to transfer your registration to another individual - just notify us. If there are extenuating circumstances and you wish to discuss this with us, then please call us.
Phone: (+61) 02 9818-7471