Learn jewellery making and become an accomplished artisan at the SquarePeg Jewellery Making Atelier course! This is a unique opportunity to spend one day per week working with a discerning expert jeweller who will assist you to become successful in developing your own line of jewellery or to create special one-off pieces.
The Jewellery Making Atelier is an exciting course for students at an intermediate level or above. Offering a broad range of subjects and techniques, participants are encouraged to produce – through the process of design and making – jewellery pieces that are individual in design and well made.
What makes SquarePeg Studios unique for learning jewellery making? Our jewellery school is also a workshop with 11 contemporary jewellers in residence so students have the opportunity to interact with professional makers and see the types of jewellery they are making.
Technical Skills Cover:
Subjects will be taught concurrently or per term as required, the concepts to be explored are shape, form and repetition
Basic jewellery skills such as sawing, filing, drilling, riveting and soldering
- Ring and bezel making
- Advanced soldering and metal forming
- Skills for making hollow forms and using the hydraulic press
- Other techniques depending on the student’s needs
Design Skills Cover:
The goal is to provide participants with appropriate knowledge and skills in order to
- Interpret design theory in a manner relevant for making jewellery
- Develop problem solving skills in a creative and innovative manner in relation to jewellery design and making
- Perform metal working techniques
- Give participants skills for creative expression
- All the fundamentals of jewellery making
- Design theory in a manner relevant for making jewellery
- Problem solving skills in a creative and innovative manner in relation to jewellery design and making
- Base metal sheet and wire
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
We take safety very seriously at SquarePeg. All students must wear proper enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs), long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back.
Perfect for those with jewellery making experience wishing to consolidate and build on their knowledge.
Vendor since 2016
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for our refund policy. If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com.
- The course fees must be paid in full or as a pay in instalments plan on enrolment and are non-refundable.
- In the event that a course is cancelled or oversubscribed, the course fees less the 4.5% non-refundable booking fee may be refunded, alternatively SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the full fees paid to date, which can be applied for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue.
- Our courses are open to students 16 years and older, Jewellery Studio Bench access is open to students 18 years and older.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits are issued for non attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Some of our courses require prior learning, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as at 1 May, 2020.
Subject to change as per Government directives.
- In the event a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next date on which the course or workshop is scheduled, and notify the student of the change in a timely manner.
- In the case that the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date, which can be applied for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue. No refunds will be permitted.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to latest Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors with regard to physical distancing, wearing of masks and appropriate hygiene measures whilst attending SquarePeg Studios.
- Students must not attend SquarePeg studios if they are unwell, have been in contact with a person that has tested positive to Covid-19 or returned from overseas within the past two weeks.