Indian Miniature Painting
About This Class
- Duration: 30 hours
- Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
What You Will Learn
- Learning a range of techniques of Indian miniature painting from master painter
- Unique opportunity to learn under one of India’s foremost miniature painting masters
- Learn all the steps of traditional miniature painting, using paint prepared the traditional way, real gold paint and very fine squirrel-hair brushes
What You Get
- The teacher will provide each student with a kit which includes special handmade paper and fine squirrel hair brushes as well as other items needed for the course. The cost is $35 to be paid in cash at the start of the course.
- All pigments, paints, gold leaf and other media are included in the course cost.
- Morning and afternoon chai and biscuits.
This is a unique opportunity to learn under one of India’s foremost miniature painting masters. With Ajay Sharma’s expert guidance, students will learn all the steps of traditional miniature painting, using paint prepared the traditional way, real gold paint and very fine squirrel-hair brushes. This workshop is limited to a maximum of 7 participants and all levels are welcome.
With an international reputation and over 25 years experience Ajay Sharma excels in a wide repertoire of styles and genres such as court painting, portraits, animals, flowers and plants. Ajay is a wonderful and generous teacher with a long experience teaching at his Jaipur studio and at several universities in India and the UK. Students come from all over the world to learn with him.
What do students learn?
- Preparing special paper for painting
- Wasli (paper) making
- Preparing the base colour for painting
- Tracing or drawing, preparing handmade carbon
- Knowledge about brushes, handling them
- Making Khajal (black colour)
- Preparing outlines for painting
- Colour filling, and burnishing to make the painting smooth
- Practising miniature outlines, shades, knowledge and use of Hilkari (Liquid gold)
- Designing background, border, and Khat (separating the painting and border)
- Ornaments, jewelery, beads, decoration and border design
- Use of Gold leaf and finalization
Why choose a jewellery making course at SquarePeg Studios?
Our courses are taught by highly experienced and passionate teachers who are practising contemporary jewellers. This is the closest to an accredited course – without the assignments, stress and cost – that Sydney has to offer. Students not only gain the satisfaction of designing and hand-making their own piece of jewellery they also have the opportunity to get a behind the scenes look at a contemporary professional jewellery studio while learning great new skills in jewellery techniques and design.