Make Earrings in a Day Workshop
An intensive 6 hour class
WHAT STUDENTS LEARN
How to mark out your earring design – either bring along a printout of your design idea/pattern, we will have ideas to choose from – or we can help you create spontaneously on the day!
Saw Piercing – students are taught how to saw-pierce metal using professional jewellery saw frames
Texturing and stamping – whether it’s a hammered texture, or stamping with letter stamps on metal, we have a range of tools for students to experiment with
Roller printing – learn how to impress directly on to metal using a specialist rolling mill. Print with feathers, leaves, fabric, art papers, hand cut stencils and much more
Flame colouring titanium – learn how to create beautiful colours with light and versatile titanium
Introduce additional materials – we will have a treasure trove of interesting materials to choose from such as acrylic, aluminium, and more
Soldering – using special jewellery torches students learn how to anneal and solder metal to join the silver together to build your design
Finishing – learn how to file and use emery paper to give your ring a final finish
Patination – use our special blackening compound to highlight parts of your design
What students make
A sterling silver pair of earrings, designed and made by you!
ABOUT THE COURSE
Join us in our light-filled studio workshop to forget about the world and focus on your creativity. Our Earring Making workshop will teach you traditional silver smithy skills whilst making a pair of perfectly matched studs or hanging earrings. Whatever your vision, we will help you bring it to life, so that by the days end you will have some fabulous new jewellery to take home with the added satisfaction of having made the design yourself.
Students experiment and sample with copper and/or brass and then incorporate the new skills learned into a sterling earring design. Tools and materials, including copper, brass and 15g of silver for your earrings, are provided.
MEET YOUR TUTORS - Our Make Earrings in a Day Workshop is taught on alternate dates by Emily Copp or Elizabeth Mitchell.
Emily is a Sydney based creative who works with diverse materials and technologies. She has presented work in many group shows, as well as exhibiting solo. Environmental and ethical concerns inform and motivate her works which include jewellery forms and tableware objects within her practice.
She is a resident artist and director at SquarePeg Studios alongside teaching various classes in SquarePeg Studio's classroom. Emily also moonlights at the University of NSW Art and Design Campus.
Elizabeth began her jewellery career in 2007 as part of the team for local Australian powerhouse Dinosaur Designs. In 2011 she tried her hand at the inaugural SquarePeg beginners metalsmithing class and was wooed by the oracle like teachings of a tutor so much that she began the TAFE trade certificate in 2012. With the completion of her studies in 2015 she moved on to start working for another Australian powerhouse Sarah and Sebastian and remains there today as a Senior Jeweller.
- Metal cutting – students are taught how to saw-pierce metal using professional jewellery saw frames
- Texturing and stamping – whether it’s a hammered texture, or stamping with letter stamps on metal, we have a range of tools for students to experiment with
- Base metal sheet
- 15 grams of Sterling silver for your earrings
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and biscuits.
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- Covered shoes
- Ideas and creativity
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
We take safety very seriously at SquarePeg. All students must wear proper enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs), long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back.
Perfect for those starting out on their jewellery making journey.
Vendor since 2016
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for our refund policy. If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com.
- The course fees must be paid in full or as a pay in instalments plan on enrolment and are non-refundable.
- In the event that a course is cancelled or oversubscribed, the course fees less the 4.5% non-refundable booking fee may be refunded, alternatively SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the full fees paid to date, which can be applied for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue.
- Our courses are open to students 16 years and older, Jewellery Studio Bench access is open to students 18 years and older.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits are issued for non attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Some of our courses require prior learning, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as at 1 May, 2020.
Subject to change as per Government directives.
- In the event a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next date on which the course or workshop is scheduled, and notify the student of the change in a timely manner.
- In the case that the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date, which can be applied for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue. No refunds will be permitted.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to latest Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors with regard to physical distancing, wearing of masks and appropriate hygiene measures whilst attending SquarePeg Studios.
- Students must not attend SquarePeg studios if they are unwell, have been in contact with a person that has tested positive to Covid-19 or returned from overseas within the past two weeks.