As a new approach to calligraphy and meditation, this workshop combines the two practices into one, achieving mental focus through an artistic practise. Coordinating the flow of our breath and arm movements with the form of calligraphic letters, we will explore gestural strokes and rhythmic writing through the lens of a mindfulness practice. Using a pointed pen and ink, we will spend the evening cultivating a relaxed atmosphere, finding a connection with the self and our surroundings through the written words and marks on the page.
Fox & Flourish is small studio of quiet pleasures, specialising in calligraphy and creative services run by Christina Luo. Having studied under the careful hands of world-renowned calligraphers, Christina infuses traditional techniques with a modern sensibility. She recently relocated to Melbourne from Vancouver, Canada, and we couldn't be more excited to offer this workshop to you.
No experience is necessary for this workshop. Lefties, complete beginners, and those who have “chicken scratch” are more than welcome! Experienced calligraphers also welcome to come and explore the meditative side of your practice.
The Windsor Workshop is located on level 1 of 115 Chapel Street, Windsor. Windsor train station is a 4 minute walk, or jump off at Duke Street stop on Tram 78. All day parking is available behind Paint Spot, Windsor (opposite the station) for around $7/day.
Our workshops are suitable for persons 16 years or older.
It is likely you will be photographed at the workshop, so please let us know if you do not want to be published.
Terms and Conditions / Cancellations
The Windsor Workshop reserves the right to cancel any scheduled workshop. The reasons this may occur are (a) if a workshop does not reach the minimum number of students or (b) an Artist or Workshop Facilitator falls ill. In the unfortunate circumstance of a workshop being cancelled, students will be notified at least 2 days before the commencement of the workshop and a credit note will be issued to be used at a later date. Unfortunately we are unable to offer refunds if the class is cancelled.
If you are unable to attend your workshop, please let us know within four working days of your workshop and we will give you a credit note to be used at a later date, or transfers are available upon request. No credit notes will be issued for cancellations when less than four working days' notice is given. Due to the nature of limited places, working with artists and purchase of materials, we cannot offer refunds.
Purchase of your ticket indicates acceptance to these terms
- Getting to know the tools and setting up the ideal workspace and foundational calligraphy forms with a rhythmic, moment-focused emphasis
- Basic meditation and mindfulness techniques through a creative lens and combining the breath with physical gestures to consciously create strokes and forms
- Mixing Overcoming self-doubt and removing fear from the practise and developing a plan for continued study and style development techniques to create your own designs
- All supplies are included which includes traditional tools hand-picked by Christina – this includes a pen holder and nib to take home, along with practise paper and templates.
- Different types of ink and paper will also be available for use at the venue
- You will be treated to an array of fine food / coffee / tea / wine to feed your creative energies
- Please bring bucket loads of enthusiasm - you will be unleashing your unfounded creativity.
Calligraphy is not too messy, but we will be working with waterproof black ink which could spill or splatter, and is difficult to wash out of clothing. Please dress accordingly.
This class is for all skill levels, and lettering enthusiasts.
Vendor since 2015
We are a creative hub for the arts / crafts / design movement providing workshops and events to inspire.
We seek out and promote local Melbourne based Artists.
We unleash the unexplored creativity in people.
We provide a social gathering for people to slow down and team up.
We create a sensory experience that will get people talking.