Complete Learn to Sew Knits/Stretch Course ✄✄
Over 6 hours, you make your choice of a traditional unisex T-Shirt or a 3/4 sleeve length blouse. As you make them you will learn about successful sewing with knit fabric.
Sewing with knit fabrics is fantastic. No need for buttons and zips! If you've given it a go and had skipped stitches, puckered seams and general frustrations - we'll help you understand where you were going wrong.
Our complete learn to sew knits workshop includes;
- Understanding how knits and wovens differ
- Taking measurements and selecting sizes for knits
- How to assess the amount of stretch in your fabric
- Cutting technique for knits
- Pattern preparation tips for knits
- Identify different stretch stitches and understand when to use them
- The ultimate technique tips to stop your machine eating knits!
- How to adjust your machine settings for a great result on knits
- Optional - overlocking knits
- How to setup and hem with a twin needle
When choosing your fabric, please choose a knit fabric with a two-way (not one-way) stretch. A nice choice is a blend of predominantly natural fibre with some synthetic, for example, 95% Merino and 5% Spandex.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
What you will learn
- Students will learn about the difference between knit and woven fabrics
- Taking chest measurements, assessing the percentage of stretch and selecting the size to make, how to place patterns and cut out for knit fabrics
- The settings and adjustments on the sewing machine for stretch stitches, how to apply a neckband and hemming with a twin needle
What you will get
- A copy of the pattern in your size
- Detailed handouts and a top made by you while learning all the skills
- In the event of a Lockdown, all workshops are moved ahead by 7 days. We try to minimise the impact on our timetable, but usually, all workshops (even those that were not scheduled during the Lockdown timeframe) move ahead by 7 days.
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
What to bring
- Polyester blend sewing machine thread - matching your fabrics
- 1.5metres of knit fabric with at least 50% stretch both horizontally & vertically
- *optional .2metres of knit fabric or ribbing for contrasting neck band
What to wear
✄✄ Intermediate Sewing Star: This sewing thing is really growing on you! You can follow a suggested layout and have now worked with a variety of woven fabrics, maybe even your first knits. You've stepped up to using patterns for simple garments like basic skirts, pants and tops. You've sewn a dart, inserted a basic zip and have finished edges with an overlocker.
1.5 metres of jersey or similar stretchy knit fabric. Note: medium-weight knit fabric is easier to work with.
Vendor since 2013
Learn to sew, craft and create with Thread Den. Workshops offered face-to-face and online.
Located on Melbourne's vibrant Brunswick Street, in Fitzroy. At Thread Den you can start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, and find your own unique style.
Thread Den has developed a teaching model that is supportive and nurturing, designed to make each student feel like the focus of our attention, whether you learn with us face-to-face or online.
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew, craft and create. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to.
Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. Click here to sign-up.
See Terms & Conditions.
Terms & Conditions
Taking part in a workshop at Thread Den is fun and we love teaching people our craft, but here we have to get serious for a moment:
It is your responsibility to clear your diary for the booking you've made - especially if there are multiple sessions in your course. If you want to finish your project(s), you need to attend all workshops. You'll also need to arrive on time. We can't start again because it just isn't fair to your fellow participants.
Allow us this indulgence for a second, our workshops and courses - they are usually sold out weeks in advance. It isn't a quick switch to pop you into another workshop. If we have an appropriate session where you can attend to keep going, we will try to offer you a discounted space. If that isn't possible, you will need to book a private lesson to stay on track (the minimum cost is NM -$144 or M -$119.52).
We also won't follow you up to check that you are coming along to class and/or that you have the right supplies for your class. Almost every workshop will require you to bring along your supplies, for some workshops we sell a supplies kit at an additional cost - but not for all. If you are unsure about what you need, just shoot us an email - email@example.com . We also want you to learn and love what you make as much as possible, please carefully consider the fabrics we recommend that you use. If you choose a fabric that is suited to a more advanced level you aren't going to enjoy your experience.
We've tried to answer any questions you could have in the workshop description, but again, don't hesitate to email us for any further details or with any queries. We loooove to see that fabric you are thinking of using and sending you off to some of our favourite fabric and habby suppliers.
Thanks for sticking with us and reading through these annoying details. Here's the stuff that is often hidden behind an *asterisk* or in teeeeenie little print:
- All refunds are subject to a 25% administration fee.
- Refunds will only be processed back to the original method of payment.
- Refunds are processed as soon as practicable. While Thread Den’s part of the process should be undertaken within three days of notice, the combination of the bookings platform and your banking institution’s processes will also influence the exact amount of time taken for you to receive the refund.
Transferring Your Booking
- If you wish to transfer your booking to another workshop we require at least four days notice prior to the start date of your original workshop/course booking.
- Bookings without date changes can be transferred to another person without incurring any penalties.
- Changes to your workshop or the commencement date (within all other terms listed here) will incur a $10 administration fee.
- Changes to your booking date will not reset the four day notice period.
- If you feel unwell, do not attend your workshop. With the supply of a medical certificate or COVID-19 testing referral covering the date of your workshop, you will be able to transfer your booking without incurring any penalties.
- Your safety is our priority, we reserve the right to make decisions if necessary to preserve the safety of all.
- In the event of a medical emergency, we may have to seek ambulance services on your behalf and at your expense.
- Classes are subject to sufficient enrolment numbers (usually this is 3 participants).
- We reserve the right to cancel any scheduled course. In the event of a cancellation, students will be notified two days before the scheduled start date and refunds will be provided.
This policy can be viewed on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/