You'll learn how to work with light leather, how to use a walking foot attachment, the needle requirements and how to handle the tools to attach accessories.
While we take you through all the basics you'll make a Mina + Oli exclusive tote design.
Plus the awesomness of walking away with a totally cool tote made by you!
Photographed Samples: The larger bag is made from a yellow vinyl and medium weight woven dress fabric as the contrast. The smaller bag is made from a soft light weight blue leather and suede in darker blue. Both bags have natural coloured woven straps.
Notes on Supplies: The easiest place to source leather is from op shops! Grab jackets and skirts, then will give them a new life. This is a great sustainable way to reuse material that has a long durable life (but often is in the daggiest of garments - HELLO 80s!!!
The Fabric Store on Brunswick Street has a great range of leather in brilliant colours.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
4 hour workshop
- How to sew light leather on a sewing machine
- What needles you need to use
- Use a walking foot attachment and how to handle the tools to attach accessories
- A unique and utterly useful tote bag made by you
- A copy of the pattern developed by Thread Den in partnership with Mina + Oli
- Instructions to make it time and time again
- Matching sewing machine thread
- 1 metre of a woven light to medium weight cotton for the bag lining
- Natural woven strapping will be supplied for your handles
- 1 metre or enough to piece together two pieces of 40cm x 50cm soft light leather or a medium to heavy weight woven fabric.
- 0.5 metres of medium weight woven fabric for the outside of your bag
- Hardware for securing handles is supplied
✄✄ for students who have completed Sewing Basics and are confident enough to try new techniques and tricky leather
Vendor sincce 2013
Have you played with the idea of learning to sew? Do you day dream about making your own clothes?
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here. Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Thread Den is located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, or find your own unique style.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy Link - http://www.threadden.com/_pages/bookings_cancellations.html
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.