Pattern Design: A shell top is a simple design with rounded neck and no sleeves. You can vary the hemline for a longer top, or even go midriff! Our pattern features a neck and armhole facing that is sewn in as one piece, bust darts and you'll learn how to make a rouleau button loop from the same fabric.
Photographed Sample: Made in a medium weight woven cotton with 5% synthetic stretch fibre from Darn Cheap Fabrics.
Styling Ideas & Notes On Supplies: This top will work in a huge variety of fabrics. Through fabric choice you can make it for warmer or cooler months. Light weight fabrics will have more drape. This pattern is not suitable for knit fabrics. This pattern does not include a lining, take this into consideration when choosing your fabrics and avoid scratchy/itchy material. For directional prints, large prints and fabrics with nap you should purchase extra fabric. For best results - pre-wash your fabric to reduce shrinkage. Cick here to read information about choosing interfacing.
For fabric and styling Inspiration - click here.
Our patterns cover bust measurements from 88cm to 108cm. Please email us if your measurements is outside this range and we will grade a pattern ready for your workshop.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and take advantage of the discount - click here to read more.
6 hours in total. Next scheduled on 2 x Monday 12th and 19th February.
- Taking measurements and choosing the right size, pattern placement and transferring markings, cutting technique.
- Finishing seams with an overlocker, and pressing for professional results.
- Stitching perfect bust darts. Neck and armhole facings. Keyhole opening with a rouleaux loop.
- A wardrobe staple - the shell top
- Instructions to make the shell top
- A copy of the pattern
- a button no larger than 2.5cm
- Sewing machine thread to match
- For fabric 145cm+ wide bring 1.2 metres of fabric
- For fabric 110cm wide bring 2.2 metres of fabric
- Fabrics: soft, light weight woven natural fabric, medium weight woven with a small % of stretch. For fabric with nap, large stripes, or directional prints may need more fabric.
- 30cm of light weight iron on interfacing
✄✄ Students who have completed Sewing Basics Weeks 1-3 and are confident enough to try one challenging new technique
Vendor sincce 2013
Have you played with the idea of learning to sew? Do you day dream about making your own clothes?
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here. Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Thread Den is located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, or find your own unique style.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy Link - http://www.threadden.com/_pages/bookings_cancellations.html
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.