If you have a desire to make formal gowns, your own wedding dress or a stunning cocktail dress - this is the perfect couture techniques course for you.
This gown was designed by Gretchen Hersch for her line of 'Patterns By Gertie' for Butterick. The B6535 Butterick Misses' Strapless Dress, Detachable Train and Belt which Gertie said is inspired by Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina and with the bust pleats and in pink it is very reminicent of Marilyn Monroe's gown from the Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend dance sequence in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.
Sewing a gown like this is quite the challenge! But with Thread Den's teachers who have made this gown, you'll have the advantage of their experience and comprehensive instructions to provide a great deal more detail with Butterick's instructions.
While making this gown you will learn all of the following couture techniques:
- Making a bodice toile to achieve a beautiful fit
- Using silk organsa and felt underlinings
- Inserting bodice boning and a waist stay
- Bust pleats and single thread darts
- Hiding away the inner construction with a lining
- Inserting a pick stitch zip
- Using horsehair braid in the train hem
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy – Click Here
Prices are subject to change and Member Discounts are applicable to class prices that are not already discounted or bundled.
There will be homework between workshops in this course. 7 x Sundays from 10am to 2pm, from July 9th to August 27th.
- How to make a strapless gown that won't feel like it needs to be pulled up!
- Detailed support and experience in making the B6353 Butterick: Patterns by Gertie Dress
- Fit a bodice toile, insert boning, a waist stay, bust pleats, single thread darts, using horsehair braid, underlinings, interlinings and linings
- The gown of the year made by you!
- Butterick's B6353 pattern
- Thread Den's comprehensive and detailed instructions and notes as well as the pattern instructions
- A detailed description of supplies required will be included with your confirmation email
- Gown fabric, threads, belt buckle, underlining and lining, interfacing fleece, 46 cm zipper, 6 hooks & eyes, boning, seam binding, stay tape, horsehair braid
✄✄✄ If you have made garments using patterns and understand sewing terminology and have some experience with pattern markings, this is a skill level you are ready for. You are expected to know how to use a sewing machine.
Vendor sincce 2013
Have you played with the idea of learning to sew? Do you day dream about making your own clothes?
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here. Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Thread Den is located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, or find your own unique style.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy Link - http://www.threadden.com/_pages/bookings_cancellations.html
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.