This is a one off event where students will learn how to work with a sewing pattern from the very beginning. We'll cover how to choose your size, discuss how to read the back of a pattern envelope - including the selection of appropriate fabric and notions.
"The Hilo is a loose, flowy, boho style dress that is easy to sew" and designed to be made from knit fabrics. While making this dress you will learn techniques in handling knit fabrics, which stretch stitches to select on your machine and the different needles and tools to use.
This is an Indie Pattern Designer Event workshop - the price of the workshop includes the cost of purchasing and printing the pattern for each student.
Over nine hours you will make FRIDAY pattern co.'s Hilo Dress.
There are two back options: a low, open back, or a bra friendly version that comes to a slight V. Wear this dress with sandals and a floppy hat and you’ll feel like you’re on a tropical vacation. Layer it over a t-shirt, and it makes a great, everyday look. The double layer of this dress makes it both flattering and extremely comfortable.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
- How to use & understand a sewing pattern
- The techniques and tools to sew with knit fabrics
- Sewing with stretch stitches
- The Hilo Dress PDF pattern printed for each student
- Tuition to sew a knit dress
- First workshop focusing on how to understand the pattern, choose size, prep pattern & select fabric
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- Fabric requirements & notions/supplies needed will be discussed in the first workshop
✄ Perfect for students who have taken the Sewing Basics for Beginners and know how to use a sewing machine
A PDF copy of the pattern will be purchased and printed for each student - this cost is included in the workshop price.
Vendor since 2013
Learn to sew and make your own clothes.
Located on Melbourne's vibrant Brunswick Street, in Fitzroy. At Thread Den you can start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, and find your own unique style.
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here.
Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
- Cancellation requests received the day before, the day of, or any time after a course start are not be eligible for a refund, are not eligible for transfer, and are not eligible for credit towards another course.
- All cancellations are subject to a 25% cancellation fee.
- Refunds will be processed back to the original payment method less the 25% fee.
- Refunds are processed as soon as notification of cancellation is received, allow approximately 3 days for your banking institution to show the refund to your account.
Request for Transfer:
- Bookings (without date changes) are fully transferrable to another person without incurring any penalty.
- Participants may request a transfer to their booking without penalty up until fourteen (14) days prior to the course or workshop start date.
- Participants transferring their booking within fourteen (14) days prior to the course or workshop start date incur a $10 administration fee.
- Requests to transfer received the day before, the day of, or any time after a course start will not be eligible for a refund, are not eligible for transfer, and are not eligible for credit towards another course.
Notice periods above are based on your original booking date, if a transfer has been made, the notice periods do not reset.
Effective 1 November 2019
This policy is available for viewing on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/
We require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place. Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the studio in cash, EFT or credit card.
Unfortunately, we can’t tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
The full terms and conditions are available on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/