Trash Puppets recognises the unique challenge teachers face in engaging students in sustainability.
Our workshops not only give students a creative opportunity to experience sustainability, but also compliments Victorian Curriculum F-10 standards in a range of learning areas including:
- Visual Arts & Visual Communication Design
- Science (Physics, Environment).
The Trash Puppets experience:
- encourages creative, reflective, and critical thinking
- gets students solving complex supply and design problems
- offers opportunities to plan, experiment, take risks, and question
- imparts meaningful puppetry knowledge, puppet-making technique, and core sustainability principles.
Trash Puppets’ signature puppetry workshop runs for two hours and includes:
- Prepatory info, including guidelines for ‘trash’ collection so your students can fully experience our waste reduction message.
- Two of our sparky Trash Leaders to facilitate
- Trash 'vetting' - ensuring your collection is safe and clean.
- Construction materials (scissors, tape, string, etc.)
- Follow up factsheet including local recycling guildelines.
- Each student leaves with their very own working trash puppet masterpiece!
Please also note:
- our minimum call is two hours.
- price includes 'trash sorting' time prior to first workshop. We can also supply trash if you cannot.
- groups of 30+ participants require additional trash leaders at additional cost.
- locations further than 30min from melbourne CBD will incur additional travel fees - please select these from "Merchandise"
- prices and inclusions are subject to change without notice.
You can also email email@example.com to get a quote specific to your requirements.
Sessions ideally run on the same day, but can be booked within three months of each other. Our schools workshops are bookable throughout school terms.
- Sustainability - touching on areas of design, recycling, and waste reduction.
- Puppetry - visual and performing arts.
- Free, creative expression.
- Sustainability/ Earth Science: reflecting on resource usage, and the impact of personal choice on the earth.
- Engineering and Physical Science: exploring how motion, force and energy are used to manipulate a system.
- Design: generating and testing ideas.
- Visual Art: Experimenting with materials, developing and displaying artwork.
- Drama: exploring how to communicate dramatic meaning and exploring different theatrical performance methods.
- Critical and Creative Thinking: complex problem-solving, lateral thinking, and synthesising learned information into an open, creative task.
- Each student creates their very own working puppet!
- Minimum 1 x grocery bag (per student) of clean 'trash' as per TP Collection Request
School groups (primary and secondary).
Vendor sincce 2016
Our mission at Trash Puppets is simple. We educate both children and adults alike on the concepts of sustainability, with a particular focus on waste reduction, through creative workshops and interactive performances where imaginations are expanded and play is key.
Our overarching message is one of great importance. Waste and its associated impacts, such as pollution, threaten the sustainability of our planet. Trash Puppets works with 100% recycled/ reused materials, donated by many, including our participants themselves. Creating something new, something unique and special from what other may deem “trash” sends the message that we can, as a society, waste less and highlights the importance of recycling.
Participants will also gain an insight in to the wonderful art form that is puppetry. Our Creative Director Jhess Knight is a highly trained professional puppeteer and puppet maker, passionate about sharing her craft with the community. In this digital age, playing with tangible materials is often something that we miss out on. Trash Puppets aims to encourage creative thinking, excite your imagination with puppetry and broaden your understanding of sustainable practices.
If you cancel your booking more than two weeks before the event, full refund of deposit will be made. Cancellations made within 14 days of the event date will not receive a deposit refund.
By hiring Trash Puppets you agree to:
pay a minimum 50% deposit to within 14 days of making your booking (unless otherwise negotiated)
pay the balance 50% of our hireage fees within 14 days of your event occurring
forfeit your 50% deposit if you cancel your event within 14 days of the booked date
provide a safe working environment for our staff
provide an adequate and appropriate space for the event to occur within
advise us in writing (email to firstname.lastname@example.org) if the circumstances of your event change after booking. Key changes include (but are not limited to):
the number of participants
whether puppet-making material (i.e. ‘trash’) is supplied by participants or by Trash Puppets
contact person on the day.
Trash Puppets will ensure that:
all our staff hold valid Working With Children checks
our services are delivered as described, with professionalism (and fun!)
your deposit is refunded if you cancel your event more than 14 days out from the booked date
all trash provided by participants is sorted by our staff assuring materials are clean and safe
our Public Liability insurance is adequate and current.
The terms, fees, and contents of this agreement remain strictly confidential, utilised only in connection with the booking made.
Trash Puppets may take photos/ videos to record the event, avoiding identifiable features of staff/ participants.
Changes to your booking may incur additional fees.
Trash Puppets staff require breaks during events that run more than 3.5hrs.
If you have any questions or concerns, please phone us on 0406 310 144 or email email@example.com.