Beginner Learn to Sew Workshop - One day!
So, you’ve decided you’d like to learn how to sew? And you’ve a new sewing machine? But don’t know where to start?
Bring along your machine and I will show you how to thread it, practise stitching and make a project just for you. Once armed with the confidence to use your machine, this course will give you the oomph to work on lots of projects.
As this is an absolute beginner lesson, we will take it slow and begin with sewing simple piece, a Tote Bag.
Firstly, we take around 1.5hours to learn how your machine works, thread it and practice stitching. We then take these new skills to begin making up a project, a super useful Tote Bag. The skills learnt here can include making seams, zig zag edging and top stitching.
Skill level: Complete beginner - bring your machine in the box!
What you will learn
- What all those knobs do
- How to change your needle, how to thread both the bobbin and the machine and to troubleshoot basic machine problems
- Sew basic straight stitches to the seam allowance and zig zag the edges
What you will get
- 5 hours of expert tuition with only 3-6 students in the class
- Sewing Pattern with instructions to take home
- One spool of Gutermann quality thread
During the week, parking can be tricky. It is often best to stop at our door and bring your machine in and then find a park.
During the weekend, there is usually lots of parking on Jabez Street or Shepherd Street.
We are serviced by the M30, 423, 426 and 428 bus.
We are approx 20min walk from Sydenham or Stanmore Station
What to bring
- Your machine (nice and clean with all it's power cords and the foot pedal) & your fabric scissors and sewing kit
- Your lunch - a fridge, microwave and sandwich is available
- One metre of thick cotton fabric - at Spotlight it is called Duck Canvas or Canvas. And all Ikea fabric is perfect. Don’t stress if you can't get to the shops, you can purchase from our store on the day, via cash or card!
What to wear
Wear comfy clothes and shoes!
- Refund and transfer requests. Refunds, transfers or credit will not be processed if you cancel within 48 hours of the class or event commencing. To request a refund or transfer, Usefulbox Sewing School requires at least 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to organise.
- Partial refunds. At our discretion, Usefulbox Sewing School has the right to issue a partial refund, (i.e., A % of the total order) and to retain any booking and processing fees associated with the order.
- Missed classes. Usefulbox Sewing School does not offer refunds for missed classes. If you can't make a class, we can try to organise a make up class within the current timetable. If you cannot make any of those classes, we cannot do a make up class.
- Cancelled class/event. In the event that a class is cancelled by Usefulbox Sewing School, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a transfer or credit.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Usefulbox Sewing School or organised by Usefulbox Sewing School must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Usefulbox Sewing School
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Usefulbox Sewing School unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Usefulbox Sewing School classes and events or on Usefulbox Sewing School premises. (For use of Usefulbox Sewing School marketing materials).
3.) REFUNDS, TRANSFERS & RESCHEDULES
Usefulbox Sewing School requires 48 hours notice in writing (email@example.com) prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit.
If you don't let us know that you will miss the class, the total fee will be forfeited.
If you miss a class within a course, we will make every effort to do a make up class within our current timetable. If you cannot make any classes on the schedule, to make up your class, the class you missed will be forfeited.
If the product you have bought from Usefulbox sewing school is faulty, you will be refunded. If you wish to exchange and the product is unused, we can facilitate an exchange or a credit note.
In the event that a class is cancelled by Usefulbox Sewing School, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a transfer or credit.