This short writing course is designed to set young writers up for success. The act of writing connects our hands, head and heart. Writing is a powerful tool for communication, self-expression and creativity.
Each week, I'll use a range of writing prompts and activities to unleash creativity and fire up your child's imagination. Writers will have an opportunity to explore both personal and imaginative writing.
As well as writing, we’ll also take time to reflect and share our experience of the writing process, so we begin to understand our natural tendencies and behaviours with respect to writing. There is no set blueprint for creativity, so it's essential for each writer to develop a process that works for them. There will be plenty of time for discussion because I know writers learn so much from listening to each other and working together.
This course includes 4 x 90 min workshops as well as an online component. Participants can download practical resources and activities to support their home writing practice. Before long, your whole family could be writing for fun!
Week 1: About Me
There's an old writing adage, ‘Write what you know,' and this week's activities help writers do exactly that! Essentially, ideas for stories come from two places: your personal experience and your imagination. In our first workshop, I'll encourage writers to mine their own lives for writing inspiration.
Week 2: Random Objects
Objects engage our senses. You can smell, touch and experience an object through your senses, which is the best way your imagination. I'll bring along my story treasure chest and show you how to create your own kit to inspire a host of home writing adventures.
Week 3: Flights Of Fancy
This week our writing prompts are designed to ignite our imaginations and inspire creative thinking and storytelling.
Week 4: Get Your Game On
Writing is so much more than a set of rules and skills. This week's writing games prove that writing is in fact, serious fun! Writing games encourage a sense of playfulness and possibility. (We all learn more easily when we're engaged and motivated.) But don't be fooled: when it comes to consolidating writing skills, these games are the real deal.
- Work with a selection of prompts designed to kickstart creativity and inspire pieces of both personal and imaginative writing.
- Explore a range of writing routines and practices. There is no one way to develop a writing routine so I’ll provide lots of suggestions and practical ideas here.
- Focus on key writing skills including writer’s voice, style and character development.
- Learn simple mindset strategies for staying motivated, tracking progress and outrunning distractions.
- Set up their Writer’s Notebook and create a collection of simple writing resources to use at home.
- Develop an understanding of the creative process.
- 4A Notebook
- Writing materials including a grey lead pencil and eraser.
- Drink bottle
School Uniform or Casual Dress
This short course is designed for writers in Years 3 - 6.
Vendor since 2013
Write Away With Me is dedicated to inspiring the next generation of writers! We offer storytelling and literacy workshops for Early Childhood and Primary Schools as well as a range of after school (The Writer's Club) and holiday programs (The Writer's Masterclass). Our professional development programs provide a wealth of hands on activities to allow teachers and parents to become aware of their unique power as writers, storytellers and creative thinkers! As the Director, I develop and teach programs, as well as manage our programs and events. Write Away With Me also updates a blog and produces a monthly newsletter.
Write Away With Me is unable to give refunds for missed sessions. If for some reason, your child is unable to attend the planned session, please contact the office.
Parents enrolling their child in this program must agree to the following terms and conditions:
- In an emergency, if medical assistance is needed for my child, I give my permission for ‘Write Away With Me’ staff to take whatever steps are necessary.