INTRODUCTION TO PASTELS
Pastel is a unique medium; it has a soft, velvety texture and can be used for both drawing and
painting (either sketching or building thick layers of pigment using the pastel sticks, producing a
more finished artwork). Pastels are immediate (no mixing or waiting for areas to dry), easy to set
up and pack up, and is the closest to working with colour pigments. It is ideal for any subject but
particularly portraits and life drawing. Janet will explain the materials required and how to use
them. Followed by a demonstrate of pastel technique while creating a still life artwork from a still
life setup. Each step will be explained and you will be able to follow along on your own artwork;
finishing a pastel still life, or subject from your own photo reference if you prefer, in the workshop.
Janet has had over 30 years experience creating, exhibiting and teaching pastel.
What you will learn
- 2) how to use pastel
- 3) how to create a still life
What you will get
- 1) competency with pastel
- 2) group tuition and one on one tuition
What to bring
- Backing Board. Foamcore (from art store) can be cut to size with Stanley knife or cutter 52x66cm. 4 lg bulldog clips, 10sheets of butcher’s paper or bulky news paper for padding underneath pastel paper. 1 sheet of Canson Mi-tientes pastel paper 50x64cm mid grey colour (available for purchase at class) 1 stick of soft willow or vine charcoal. Some Easels supplied but if you have a portable easel please bring one. An assorted set of soft pastels. Bring whatever you have. If you are not ready to make a large investment in pastels and just want to try them out, you can purchase an inexpensive set such as a 24 piece Mungyo set (from art stores or some news agents. Or a guide to minimum Artist quality pastels Rembrandt as follows. Dark Mid Light in Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, English Red, Bluish Grey, Mars Violet, 1 of Ultramarine Deep, Deep Yellow, permanent Red Deep, permanent Green Deep, Orange, Blue Violet. Fixative provided, Still Life provided, but you are welcome to bring your own reference.
What to wear
Casual clothes you don’t mind getting messy
Open to everyone interested!
Janet Hayes is an artist with over 30 years creating, exhibiting and teaching experience.
YAVA Gallery & Arts Hub is a new contemporary creative space opening soon in the middle of Healesville. It’s about ‘the Arts’, excellence, inspiration & learning.
We are currently seeking, designers, artists & practitioners to join us in developing a workshop and education program.
YAVA Gallery & Arts Hub has an average rating of 4.9 for their other classes.See other reviews
Anyone participating in any classes or events at YAVA Gallery & Arts Hub or organised by YAVA Gallery & Arts Hub must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by YAVA Gallery & Arts Hub .
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give YAVA Gallery & Arts Hub unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at YAVA Gallery & Arts Hub classes and events or on YAVA Gallery & Arts Hub 's premises. (for use of YAVA Gallery & Arts Hub marketing materials). I understand I have the right to request not to have my face included in images.
YAVA Gallery & Arts Hub requires 7 days notice in writing prior to the class for a refund or transfer. Cancellations within 7 days of the commencement time of the class will receive a 90% refund (please note we have to pay the weteachme booking fee regardless). Transfers can be arranged - unless for emergency situations, a 5% transfer fee will be applicable.
In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit. If we offer to transfer you to a new date in this situation and you cannot attend that date, you will still receive a full refund.
Terms & Conditions
YAVA workshops are offered by YAVA in partnership with the Workshop facilitator.
Workshop payment is generally required at time of booking . For payment over time options please enquire through workshops@yava,org.au.
Disabled access is available at the rear of YAVA, enter via Furmston Lane. Otherwise suggested parking locations are:
- Shopping Centre carpark (3 hours)
- Furmston Lane (all day parking)
- River St Carpark (all day parking, access via Green St)
- Taber Lane (all day parking)
- other street parking, just check the signs.
Find us from the main street, near the pedestrian crossing, up the stairs in between Country Smart and KG (see our balcony upstairs)
Terms & Conditions and Refunds
We understand sometimes things change and life can get in the way. We offer 90% refunds up to 7 days prior to the start of the workshop. You will need to email us in writing to cancel firstname.lastname@example.org (make sure you let us know the date of the workshop and name you booked under)