Learn from Kosta
Kosta started his drumming journey in 2005 and ever since West African music and culture has become part of his life. He was an invaluable member of performance groups such as Purpledog Rhythms, Jakmani, and Wassawumba. He has studied under some of the best teachers in Melbourne such as Mady Keita, Boubacar Gaye, Sayon Souare, Simon Fraser and Simon Lewis. Kosta is a very dedicated and patient teacher with a renowned love for the ancient traditions of the djembe.
Students at this level should seriously consider investing in their own djembe. More intensive practice is needed beyond class to hold your own at the Intermediate level, and is essential if you’re looking for an invitation to the Advanced Class.
The emphasis at the Intermediate Level is on:
- Developing clearly differentiated tones and slaps
- Playing at faster tempos
- Understanding the relationships between bell, dunun and djembe
- Exploring different time signatures (like 4/4 and 6/8)
- Preparing full arrangements for performance
- Building on more difficult group solos and personal freestyling
- Maintaining a solid tempo and holding accompaniment parts within poly rhythmic structures
Our classes run in 6 week cycles: Every Wednesday, 8:00pm-9:30pm Jan 17th Feb 28th-culminating with Tribalism April 11th May 23th July 4th Aug 15th Sep 26th Nov 7th-culminating with Tribalism
- Students at this level should seriously consider investing in their own djembe.
- More intensive practice is needed beyond class to hold your own at the Intermediate level.
- Essential if you’re looking for an invitation to the Advanced Class.
- We will have a drum ready for you at class – you don’t need to have your own. Ask your teacher about renting a drum so you can practice between classes
Those who have completed at least one Beginner Course or with some previous hand drumming experience
Vendor since 2015
Established in 1997, African Drumming has become Australia’s trusted name in West African music.
We are dedicated to sharing the music and culture of West Africa in all that we do: through classes, workshops, study tours and performances which connect a wide audience with this powerful music. Not to mention our instruments! We are one of the largest African music stores in Australia and we love our drums.
In 2011 we relocated from a little store in Grey Street to a larger purposed Head Quarters @ 252 St Kilda Rd, St Kilda. Our HQ houses both the brains and brawn of the operation, with our showroom, studios, offices, warehouse and the all important drum making workshop here under one jamming roof. We love it in St Kilda!
We have a nation-wide network of drummers and dancers under our banner and operate across Australia. Our team includes performers and drum makers from around West Africa such as Mali, Senegal, Ghana and of course homegrown talent too.
We’re always looking to the future and constantly working on the next big project, event and product.