Ever wanted to bake sourdough bread at home? Creating your own sourdough bread is easier than you might think. Join Rick, of The Life We Want as he demonstrates this age old process and introduces you to the equipment and skills required to get started baking at home.
With a Naturopathic degree and over a decade’s experience teaching nutrition our demonstrator Rick Lavender has a wealth of knowledge to share. Baking sourdough bread has been a natural response for Rick to the challenge of living a healthy life.
At the conclusion of the workshop you will have a basic understanding of :
- How to create and look after your own Sourdough starter culture
- What kind of flour to use for the best nutrition and results
- The equipment needed to produce a great looking and tasting sourdough tin loaf at home
- How to knead sticky high hydration dough for a more authentic sourdough loaf
- What bread dough looks and feels like at its various stages of preparation and development
- How to bake sourdough bread using a bread tin in a home oven
During this hands on workshop you will make your own sourdough starter culture to take home. You will mix and hand knead a 1kg batch of sourdough. Shape and prepare dough for baking at home. And observe Rick baking a finished sourdough loaf.
Participants will be limited to 8 to maintain an informal interactive format.
The workshop will include:
- Comprehensive workshop notes
- Sourdough starter culture
- Discount on a professional quality bread tin
BYO bread tin or purchase one on the day if you are bitten by the sourdough bug.
Keep your afternoon free to bake your loaf at home.
Saturdays, 9:00 am - 11:30 am Some Wednesdays 10am until 12:30pm
- Ways to create and look after your own Sourdough starter culture, flour to use for the best nutrition and results.
- Ways to knead sticky high hydration dough for a more authentic sourdough loaf, equipment needed to produce a great looking and tasting sourdough tin loaf at home.
- Ways to bake sourdough bread using a bread tin in a home oven, bread dough looks and feels like at its various stages of preparation and development.
- Comprehensive workshop notes.
- Sourdough starter culture.
- Discount on a professional quality bread tin.
- BYO bread tin or purchase one on the day if you are bitten by the sourdough bug.
Casual (Warning: It might get messy)
Vendor since 2015
Bee Sustainable helps people lead a sustainable life. We supply the necessary equipment and requirements to pursue self sufficiency with an emphasis on domestic food production and storage.
Robert, the proprietor of Bee Sustainable, comes from a bee keeping family and has been involved with various aspects of bee keeping over many years. The Bee Sustainable project has been Robert’s passion since he recognised the need for the services and goods now offered through the business.
Refunds and Transfer requests incur a $10 administration fee.
A minimum of 7 days notice is required for refunds and/or transfer requests. Refund and transfer requests with less than 7 days notice (of the scheduled date) qualify for a 50% refund or credit towards the new date. Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice qualify for a 20% discount on the next booking made.
Participation in Bee Sustainable's classes and workshops are at your own risk. Whilst we take every precaution to take reasonable care of our customers, we acknowledge that bees and the kitchen environment can pose risk, and your attendence at our classes waives our liability for any injuries that occur.