Friends of Edendale - Plant care working bee
The Diamond Creek Edendale Community Revegetation Project
The Friends of Edendale are seeking volunteers to participate in our next plant care working bee to be held on Sunday 15 October from 10.00am to 12 noon.
Our revegetation program involves both planting and subsequently looking after the plantings. This includes such activities as removal of tree guards where the plants have grown enough to not be lost to rabbits and removal of weeds.
Ongoing plant care is essential to the long-term success of the revegetation program with 1500 plants having been planted over the last two years.
It is that time of year for some general safety reminders about snakes and sun safety clothing requirements -
All outdoor volunteers
- Long pants - not leggings - that come down to cover your ankles and the top of your footwear
- Sturdy footwear and socks to cover ankles
- Long sleeved shirt - a loose cotton airy shirt is often cooler than a T'Shirt.
- Broad brimmed hat
If you see a snake
- Back away from the snake
- Alert anyone nearby (clear the area if needed)
- Alert a staff member
- From a safe distance, keep an eye on where the snake goes (we may need to get a snake catcher in if it is in a public space)
Volunteers working in the gardens and planted areas along the creek need to pay particular attention and don't just shove your arm into plants without checking first.
We would love to see you there.
Booking is very useful to let us know that you are attending and helps us plan the scope of the plant care activities. But ‘drop ins’ are welcome to register and attend on the day too. Please note that children must be accompanied by adults at all times.
- Edendale Community Environment Farm near the Northern entrance that is just opposite the footbridge to the playground. Look for the big blue Friends of Edendale banner.
- Parking at the Eltham North Adventure Playground recommended.
What you will learn
- Meet like-minded people and learn about looking after new plantings
What you will get
- The opportunity to participate in regeneration and caring for the environment
While there is some parking available at the front of Edendale we would encourage you to investigate some more sustainable transport options including:
- Riding your bike
- Public Transport
- Car pooling
Some overflow parking may be available at Eltham North playground
What to bring
- Suitable clothing for working outdoors and a pair of gloves. Wet weather gear if appropriate.
What to wear
home gardeners, environmentally concerned
Edendale is a small working farm on 7 hectares of land adjacent to the Diamond Creek in Eltham.
We are open 7 days a week 9.30 to 4.30 with the exception of Christmas Day. Entry to the farm is by a Gold Coin Donation into one of our donation boxes around the farm.
Edendale's purpose is to provide an interactive community and education centre to support sustainable living practices for the whole community.
- Local native plant nursery
- Preschool and school education programs
- Community sustainability workshops
- Family activities and events
- Cafe Eden and spaces for picnics
- Close proximity to Eltham North adventure playground reserve
- Volunteer opportunities
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
You may cancel anytime before class starts and claim a full refund or transfer or credit note.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Edendale Farm or organised by Edendale Farm must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Edendale Farm
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Edendale Farm unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs, videos or recordings taken at Edendale Farm classes and events or on Edendale Farm premises. (For use of Edendale Farm marketing materials).
Photos and videos recordings will not be taken of children without written permission from parents or guardians.
Edendale Farm requires 72 hours notice in writing prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit.
In the event that a class is cancelled by Edendale Farm, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.