The SCA Barista Skills Intermediate course builds on the concepts and skills introduced in the Foundation course. It is ideal for someone who has barista skills experience and wants to explore how to improve coffee quality and prepare for more complex roles as a barista (e.g. Head Barista or Cafe Manager).
What you will learn:
- How coffee variety, origin, and processing method impact flavour.
- How to manage various grinders, and utilise consistent dosing and distribution techniques.
- The interaction between coffee to water ratios, grind settings, and flow rate when dialling in a brew recipe.
- How coffee to water ratios affect strength and taste balance.
- How to describe the sensory aspects of espresso.
- How milk composition affects foam and taste.
- How to pour latte art with good contrast and symmetry.
- How to efficiently manage complex beverage orders at a high standard.
- Hygiene, health, and safety in the workplace.
- How to provide quality customer service.
- Basic equipment maintenance & troubleshooting.
- Profit margins, stock control, and waste minimisation.
Students who successfully complete the practical exam during the course must then successfully complete an online exam after the course to receive the internationally recognised SCA Barista Skills Intermediate certification. SCA Barista Skills Intermediate certification earns credit towards the SCA Cafe Diploma.
What you will learn
- The knowledge & skills expected of a Head Barista in a sophisticated specialty cafe.
- The first steps towards mastering espresso extraction.
What you will get
- Access to the world’s leading coffee education program
- Detailed course notes
- Participants who successfully complete the written & practical exams will receive internationally recognised certification, and earn points towards the SCA Coffee Diploma.
What to bring
- Your interest to learn!
What to wear
Pre-requisites: 6 - 12 Months barista experience or completion of the SCA Barista Skills Foundation are recommended (not mandatory).
Genovese Coffee has been in coffee for 3 generations, and we have over 60 years of experience.
We offer a range of courses to suit new or experienced baristas, as well as those who want to improve their home espresso. All of our courses have practical, detailed theory, as well as activities so you can apply your skills during the course.
Our courses are led by award winning, highly experienced, and internationally certified professionals who make it easy for you to understand coffee in our certified SCA Premier Training Campus, with state of the art espresso, brewing, and roasting equipment, located close to Melbourne’s CBD.
For those wanting to take their coffee career to the next level, we also offer the world’s only internationally recognised coffee education program – The Specialty Coffee Association Coffee Skills Program, including Roasting; Sensory Skills; Green Coffee; Barista Skills; and Brewing.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 14 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$20.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested anytime before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
Terms & Conditions
We appreciate your choice of Genovese Coffee for your coffee education, and our course pricing reflects the following:
- The quality of the training provided.
- Pre-class preparation.
- The quality of the equipment & the cost of materials used.
- Small class sizes.
- The ongoing development of our trainers.
Once your booking is confirmed and your payment is cleared, we begin the process of preparing your class. Although we understand events or illness may require that you reschedule or cancel your booking, our refund and rescheduling policy reflects the costs incurred in the preparation of the scheduled class.