SCA Sensory Skills - Foundation (1 Day) $700
This course introduces the student to the essentials of sensory evaluation.
The practical activities in this course will train you to evaluate the key sensory attributes of coffee. You will learn to identify speciality coffee qualities, and gain an overview on how to implement sensory skills in your role as a green coffee buyer, coffee roaster, or barista. Multiple practical exercises are conducted during this course, including tasting assessment of positive & negative coffee attributes.
What you will learn:
- Physiology: Olfaction & Gustation.
- The difference between taste & flavour.
- Identifying the 5 basic tastes.
- Defining basic aromas.
- Familiarity with the Le Nez du Cafe kit.
- Use of the SCA Coffee Tasters Flavour Wheel.
- Defining tastes & body in coffee.
- How to identify positive and negative coffee attributes.
- Cupping protocols and language
- How to set-up a cupping table.
- An introduction to the SCA Cupping Form
Students who successfully complete the online exam after the course will receive the internationally recognised SCA Sensory Skills Foundation certification. The SCA Sensory Skills Foundation Certification earns credit towards the SCA Roastery Diploma and the SCA Coffee Trade Diploma.
What you will learn
- The basics of sensory science
- Basic cupping skills
- How to use the SCA Coffee Tasters Flavour Wheel
What you will get
- Access to the world’s leading coffee education program
- Detailed course notes
- Participants who successfully complete the written & practical exams will receive internationally recognised certification, and earn points towards the SCA Coffee Diploma.
What to bring
- Your interest to learn!
What to wear
Pre-requisites: SCA Introduction to Coffee is recommended.
Genovese Coffee has been in coffee for 3 generations, and we have over 60 years of experience.
We offer a range of courses to suit new or experienced baristas, as well as those who want to improve their home espresso. All of our courses have practical, detailed theory, as well as activities so you can apply your skills during the course.
Our courses are led by award winning, highly experienced, and internationally certified professionals who make it easy for you to understand coffee in our certified SCA Premier Training Campus, with state of the art espresso, brewing, and roasting equipment, located close to Melbourne’s CBD.
For those wanting to take their coffee career to the next level, we also offer the world’s only internationally recognised coffee education program – The Specialty Coffee Association Coffee Skills Program, including Roasting; Sensory Skills; Green Coffee; Barista Skills; and Brewing.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 14 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$20.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested anytime before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
Terms & Conditions
We appreciate your choice of Genovese Coffee for your coffee education, and our course pricing reflects the following:
- The quality of the training provided.
- Pre-class preparation.
- The quality of the equipment & the cost of materials used.
- Small class sizes.
- The ongoing development of our trainers.
Once your booking is confirmed and your payment is cleared, we begin the process of preparing your class. Although we understand events or illness may require that you reschedule or cancel your booking, our refund and rescheduling policy reflects the costs incurred in the preparation of the scheduled class.