SCA Green Coffee - Foundation (1 Day) $700
This is an introductory course that covers key concepts surrounding green coffee from growing the plant, through processing, shipping and storage, to arrival at a roastery. The session is ideally suited for people new to the coffee industry or those looking to gain an insight into the broad subject matter of green coffee. It includes an introduction to cupping and coffee grading, and the tasting identification of some common coffee faults.
You will learn:
- The difference between species and varieties in coffee.
- The origins of the 2 main coffee species.
- How to identify by taste & aroma the key sensory differences between the 2 main coffee species.
- Where coffee is produced, and the limits of where coffee can be grown.
- Coffee botany basics.
- The steps of the coffee value chain.
- Types of coffee farming and certifications.
- Plant management basics.
- Basic information of coffee picking & processing methods.
- How to identify by taste & aroma the key sensory differences between coffees when processed with different methods.
- How to identify by common coffee faults by taste & aroma.
- Why coffee is graded.
- Why different trading markets exist for the 2 main coffee species.
- The basics of how coffee is transported and stored.
- Decaffeination basics.
- How to use grading screens and moisture & density meters.
Students who successfully complete the online exam after the course will receive the internationally recognised SCA Green Coffee Foundation certification. SCA Green Coffee Foundation certification earns credit towards the SCA Coffee Trade Diploma and the SCA Sustainable Coffee Diploma.
What you will learn
- The difference between species and variety in coffee
- The origins of the 2 main species of coffee
- Where coffee is produced
What you will get
- Access to the world’s leading coffee education program
- Detailed course notes
- Participants who successfully complete the written & practical exams will receive internationally recognised certification, and earn points towards the SCA Coffee Diploma.
What to bring
- Your interest to learn!
What to wear
Pre-requisites: SCA Introduction to Coffee is recommended.
Genovese Coffee has been in coffee for 3 generations, and we have over 60 years of experience.
We offer a range of courses to suit new or experienced baristas, as well as those who want to improve their home espresso. All of our courses have practical, detailed theory, as well as activities so you can apply your skills during the course.
Our courses are led by award winning, highly experienced, and internationally certified professionals who make it easy for you to understand coffee in our certified SCA Premier Training Campus, with state of the art espresso, brewing, and roasting equipment, located close to Melbourne’s CBD.
For those wanting to take their coffee career to the next level, we also offer the world’s only internationally recognised coffee education program – The Specialty Coffee Association Coffee Skills Program, including Roasting; Sensory Skills; Green Coffee; Barista Skills; and Brewing.
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a full refund.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 14 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$20.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested anytime before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
Terms & Conditions
We appreciate your choice of Genovese Coffee for your coffee education, and our course pricing reflects the following:
- The quality of the training provided.
- Pre-class preparation.
- The quality of the equipment & the cost of materials used.
- Small class sizes.
- The ongoing development of our trainers.
Once your booking is confirmed and your payment is cleared, we begin the process of preparing your class. Although we understand events or illness may require that you reschedule or cancel your booking, our refund and rescheduling policy reflects the costs incurred in the preparation of the scheduled class.
More From Genovese Coffee
SCA Barista Skills - Intermediate $1,000SCA Barista Skills - Intermediate $1,000
AU$1,000.00Coburg, VICThu, 15 Jun 9:00AM (AEST)
SCA Coffee Brewing-Intermediate (2 Days) $1,000SCA Coffee Brewing-Intermediate (2 Days) $1,000
AU$1,000.00Coburg, VICTue, 20 Jun 9:00AM (AEST)
Barista BasicsBarista Basics
from AU$0.00Coburg, VICFri, 30 Jun 10:00AM (AEST)