For adults & kids, ages 14 and above.
Designed for current and prospective horse and pony owners, RSPCA Victoria's Equine Excellence course will empower you with the knowledge and skills to provide the best possible care for your horse or pony.
This hands-on course will be delivered by our in-house experts, and includes working safely around horses, caring for your horse (including hoof care, nutrition, parasite protection, housing, and shelter), first aid, plus much more.
The course is designed for:
- New horse & pony owners
- Adults & kids considering purchasing a horse or pony
- Hobby farmers new to horse ownership
- Anyone looking to increase their knowledge of equine management and equine first aid
- Individuals looking to enter the equine industry, or are new to the industry
- Individuals interested in caring for higher needs horses, rehabilitation and fostering.
You will learn:
- The importance of natural behaviours in horses and how promote these behaviours in the way that we keep and care for horses.
- How to work safely around horses, considering their field of vision and the area you are in.
- Preventative health and management measures in areas such as hoof care, internal parasites, nutrition, housing and shelter.
- Pre-purchasing considerations when looking for a horse or pony.
- How to identify signs of good health and welfare, and what to do if there is a movement away from you horse's 'normal'.
- Basic first aid for horses, including what to include in a basic first aid kit for horses and how these items can be used in emergency situations.
Who runs the course?
The course is run by three in-house experts, as well as our course facilitator. Their experience includes:
- An RSPCA Victoria’s Education Liaison Officer who holds Certificate II Animal Studies, Certificate 1 & 2 Equine Industry, Certificate III in Racing (Advanced Stable hand),and Horse Safety Australia Accreditation.
- An experienced veterinary nurse who is a long-term horse owner and competitor.
- A Horse And Livestock Animal Attendant who has recently graduated from a Bachelor of Science majoring in Animal Biology, and is an experienced horse owner and handler.
What you will learn
- Learn how promote natural behaviours in horses
- Learn about different equipment and grooming tools for horses
- Learn about basic wound care for horses and other common care tips
What you will get
- Certificate of attendance
What to wear
Closed in shoes for admittance into the barn. Weather appropriate clothing for outdoors
Suitable for 14 years and above
Want to improve your animal skills? Looking for quality teaching by industry experts? Want real skills and training?
Whether you’re a pet owner or thinking of a career in animal care, RSPCA Victoria has a short course to extend your animal skills and understanding.
Designed to develop new skills for anyone dealing with animals; RSPCA short courses provide valuable access to industry experts and utilise quality resources and trainers in an informative and hands-on environment.
As the trusted name in animal welfare in Victoria, we understand what animals need, and what works and what doesn’t – and are keen to share our practical knowledge and skills with you through.
Gain professional skills. Learn about your pet. Or both!
Programs are tailored for those wanting to enter the animal industry or improve their skills within this field, as well as helping people to increase their skills with their own pets.
Hands-on experience is essential to understanding animals so you will have the chance to meet and work with – animals from our education team – as well as learn from industry experts and qualified trainers.
And of course, profits raised go towards supporting animal welfare projects. You’re helping animals while you learn to… help animals!
So book your course with us today.
About RSPCA Victoria
We are a non-government, community based charity that works to prevent cruelty to animals by actively promoting their care and protection. RSPCA Victoria was established in Melbourne in 1871. Since this time, the RSPCA has become Australia's leading animal welfare charity.
Our community services include work in education, advocacy, animal care and protection. In Victoria, we operate nine animal Adoption Care Centres and one community pet care centre, providing refuge and care to more than 20,000 animals every year.
As a not-for-profit organisation, we rely on community support to care for 'all creatures great and small'. More than 90% of our funding is due to the generous support of the Victorian community.
For further information, visit www.rspcavic.org
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
- A refund can be requested 7 days before class starts. Free of charge.
- A transfer can be requested 7 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
- A credit note can be requested 7 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions
- Program activities are conducted by RSPCA Victoria Education Officers and staff. RSPCA Victoria reserves the right to alter activities or cease programs should staff and participant safety be compromised.
- For safety reasons, participants must wear appropriate clothing and closed-in shoes.
- RSPCA Victoria reserves the right to cancel the class should minimum numbers not be met. A full refund will apply in these circumstances.
Participants may be involved in a range of hands-on activities during training. While the RSPCA takes all reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of participants, all participants engage with these activities at their own risk.
By enrolling in these programs you acknowledge that you understand this disclaimer and release RSPCA (Victoria) and its employees, agents, volunteers and contractors from any liability whatsoever, to the extent permitted by law.