Form & Surface
(+2 more dates)
You have been re-directed to the booking page for Form & Surface courses. Please see the website for latest info about Covid restrictions and refunds.
Choose your class time carefully please! It can be confusing on our booking page!
This course is one of our trilogy of foundational courses designed to introduce you different aspects of working with clay. The other two courses are our Porcelain Small Objects course and our unique Slow Clay Wheel course. It does not matter which of the three you start with. Once you become a student with us you have priority to continue with us and move into a different course each term until you have completed the three introduction courses. Thereafter, you can continue to develop to a high level in one area if you wish. The content for the 8-week course can be found on our website www.slowclay.com.
We look forward to welcoming you to Slow Clay Centre!
What you will learn
- Beginners learn many different ways to make clay shapes and forms by hand and explore an exciting array of options for decorating surfaces
- All students learn to finish and glaze their pieces
- Intermediate level students explore forms and surfaces at a deeper level and start to develop their own strong pathways
What you will get
- New knowledge, skills and your own creations!
- Tuition from an experienced teacher and ceramic artist
- Optional access to our Studio Access Times (offered 4 days per week)
What to bring
- Notebook and pen
- Camera if you wish
- Apron and towel
What to wear
Comfortable clothes you don't mind getting a bit dirty!
All levels welcome
Escape to Slow Clay Centre and learn the art, craft and design of expression in clay. www.slowclay.com
Slow Clay Centre specialises in ceramics and pottery education. Classes are offered on a weekly basis by the term, intensive weekends and short courses, and a rich variety of one-day guest artist workshops and forums. We also offer a popular single session "taster class" once per week. Look out for our Professional Development Program for serious practitioners! And some kid's classes so everyone can learn the art of working with clay!
Our enrolled weekly students receive priority to re-enrol each term and take advantage of our generous loyalty program providing free studio access (conditions apply). In this way we can help you to develop your skills to a high level.
Our unique "Slow Clay" method (TM) for teaching the pottery wheel, established by Slow Clay Centre director and ceramic artist Jane Sawyer, has been taught for more than thirty years. Based on the Japanese techniques Jane studied training as a production thrower in Japan in combination with western techniques, the "Slow Clay" method offers a synthesis of East and West. It provides ergonomic best-practice and a solid foundation for personal expression and confidence with clay. All our courses offer skill-based learning within a rich framework of contemporary art and design enquiry.
Based in a beautiful inner-city studio in Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia, the Slow Clay team consists of leading professional ceramic artists and experienced teachers who offer high-level teaching in a broad variety of topics - see our web site for teacher profiles. Together with guest professional artists for workshops and forums, we are a vibrant community and wish to share our passion for clay with everyone who is keen, no matter what level.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
- A transfer can be requested 14 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$15.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 14 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$15.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Welcome to Slow Clay Centre!
We have some Terms & Conditions you need to know about:
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre classes/workshops/events:
- Deposit or full payment (depending on the course/workshop/event) must be made at the time of booking.
- Please choose carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, we can transfer you to another class or hold your payment in credit for up to 12 months for any future course (there's a $15 fee for transfer or credit note and you must pay the difference if the new course price is higher).
- Please note: All students will receive a reminder three weeks before the start date with a link to pay the remaining balance with your credit card. Students who paid the deposit online will have the balance automatically deducted. Others will need to click on the link provided or ring our office on 99437844.
- Due to our limited class sizes, if your balance is not received three weeks before the start date we reserve the right to find a replacement student and if this is not possible we will keep your deposit.
Weekly classes: These additional conditions apply to all Slow Clay Centre weekly classes.
- Please note that making ceramics, particularly on the pottery wheel, can be a physically demanding activity. If you have any pre-existing illnesses and/or chronic injuries to your back, shoulders, hips, neck, wrists or elbows we strongly advise you to seek a medical opinion before enrolling as some activities might exacerbate past injuries and we take no responsibility if this occurs.
- We ask that you fully disclose any prior and/or ongoing illnesses or injuries that could affect you before you enrol AND inform your teacher in person during the first class.
- Your enrolment is conditional on your acceptance that Slow Clay Centre and/or the company's employees, whether casual, contract, or permanently employed, are indemnified against any exacerbation of any past or any new injuries.
- All work made during classes is to be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. This is individually negotiable for advanced students or for studio exhibitions but we ask students to accept that the emphasis of our classes is strictly on education not studio production.
- Teaching fees are fully inclusive of materials but students will incur a single firing fee based on the current cost of $10 per kg weight after gloss firing.($5/kg charge for biqsue firing only).
- Please note: you must pay the firing fee for everything that you put in the kiln. If it cracks, glaze drips, or you just don't like it, you are still required to pay the firing fee!
- Collection of fired pieces: Please understand that our storage capacity is extremely limited. Students will be notified via email when work is ready to be collected. Work will only be retained for two weeks following this notification. No exceptions.
Regarding Kids Clay Club:
- It is your responsibility to clearly report in writing on the enrolment form, any illness, allergies or disability that may affect your child's involvement in the Clay Club activities.
- Please respect our teachers and be prompt to arrive and collect your children. Do not arrive more than 5 minutes early to class or leave your children more than 5 minutes later than the class end.
- Children are expected to be mature enough to work in a group together, to respect everyone's needs and differences and to be polite.