Students will investigate different approaches to working with clay using hand-built and sculptural techniques. Beginners start with a structured program of playful, experimental projects designed to give them knowledge and experience and move towards individual projects when their skills permit. Intermediate students build upon their experience extending the range of options with materials and techniques and carefully guided and encouraged to develop an individual direction.
Internationally renowned ceramic artist and experienced teacher, Prue Venables, provides a seductive smorgasbord of clay activities designed to open your mind to many possibilities with clay forms and surfaces and guide you to understand a range of materials including clays and finishes. Prue's outstanding knowledge and experience with ceramics will be an inspiration!
Whatever your level of capability you can work at your own pace to make pieces by hand and explore an exciting array of options for their surfaces. Students constantly feedback that this course provides a deep and broad understanding of possibilities with clay. This is a great class for people who don't want to be limited to the concentric! See where it leads you...
1. Studio Access Times (SATs) are available at selected times to all enrolled students. Conditions apply. Continuing students receive 2 free sessions per term inc unlimited clay.
2. The fee is inclusive of all materials but firing is $8.50/kg extra due at the end of the term.
Instructor: Pilar Rojas
Experience: Beginners & Intermediate (mixed levels)
Priority booking is given to continuing students who renew each term.
This course comprises 8 weekly classes.
Terms & Conditions:
Please choose your classes carefully. Due to our limited class sizes, once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee, we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us.
Generally, anyone can do the hand building classes but we suggest that you get a doctor’s opinion if you have a bad back, neck, shoulders or wrists. We do not take any responsibility for any pre-existing illnesses or health issues that may be exacerbated by being in our studio, including respiratory illnesses such as asthma.
If you find your circumstances change and you are unable to attend after all you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, if we can fill your place from our waiting list, we will hold your payment for up to 12 months for any future course or workshop. Please keep in mind it is not possible to find a replacement student at short notice or after the term has started.
Please note: when paying by deposit online the balance is automatically deducted from the same credit card three weeks before the course start date through our booking agency We Teach Me. Although if you pay the deposit in the office or over the phone you must contact us to pay the balance.
If you receive unwanted emails from We Teach me, please unsubscribe from them and it will not affect our communication with you.
This course takes place once a week for 8 weeks
- Beginners learn many different ways to make clay shapes and forms by hand and explore an exciting array of options for decorating surfaces
- All students learn to finish and glaze their pieces
- Intermediate level students explore forms and surfaces at a deeper level and start to develop their own strong pathways
- New knowledge, skills and your own creations!
- Tuition from an experienced teacher and ceramic artist
- Optional access to our Studio Access Times (offered 4 days per week)
- Notebook and pen
- Camera if you wish
- Apron and towel
Comfortable clothes you don't mind getting a bit dirty!
All levels welcome
Vendor since 2013
Escape to Slow Clay Centre and learn the art of expression in clay. www.slowclay.com
Slow Clay Centre specialises in ceramics education and offers an extensive variety of ceramics and pottery classes throughout the year. Classes are offered on a weekly basis by the term, intensive weekends and short courses, and a rich variety of one-day guest artist workshops and forums. Catering for mostly adults, from beginners to the more skilled, we also have some kid's classes so everyone can learn the art of working with clay. Our enrolled students have priority to re-enrol each term and take advantage of our generous loyalty program providing free studio access (conditions apply). In this way we can help you to develop your skills to a high level.
Our unique "Slow Clay" method for teaching the pottery wheel, established by Slow Clay Centre director and ceramic artist Jane Sawyer, has been taught for more than twenty years. Based on the Japanese techniques Jane studied as an apprentice in Japan, in combination with western techniques, the "Slow Clay" method offers a synthesis of East and West. It provides ergonomic best-practice and a solid foundation for personal expression and confidence with clay. All our courses offer skill-based learning within a rich framework of art and design enquiry.
Based in a beautiful inner-city studio in Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia, the Slow Clay team consists of leading professional ceramic artists and experienced teachers who offer high-level teaching in a broad variety of topics - see our web site for teacher profiles. Together with other invited professionals for guest artist workshops and forums, we are a vibrant community of enthusiasts.
No matter what level you are, we welcome you to Slow Clay Centre where you can follow your personal pathway with clay!
Please choose carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may share the love and transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course.
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre classes/workshops/events:
- Deposit or full payment (depending on the course/workshop/event) must be made at time of booking.
- Please choose carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course.
- Please note: All students will receive a reminder three weeks before the start date with a link to pay the remaining balance with your credit card. Students who paid the deposit online will have the balance automatically deducted. Others will need to click on the link provided or ring our office on 99437844.
- If your balance is not received three weeks before the start date we reserve the right to find a replacement student.
Weekly classes: These additional conditions apply to all Slow Clay Centre weekly classes.
- Wheel classes: Please note that making ceramics on the pottery wheel can be a physically demanding activity. If you have any pre-existing or chronic injuries to your back, shoulders, hips, neck, wrists or elbows we strongly advise you to seek a medical opinion before enrolling as some activities might exacerbate past injuries and we take no responsibility if this occurs. We ask you to fully disclose any prior and/or ongoing injuries that could affect you and your enrolment is conditional on the acceptance that Slow Clay Centre and/or the company's employees, whether casual, contract, or permanently employed, are indemnified against any exacerbation of past or new injuries.
- All work made during classes is to be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. This is individually negotiable for advanced students or for studio exhibitions but we ask students to accept that the emphasis of our classes is strictly on education not studio production.
- Teaching fees are fully inclusive of materials but students incur a firing fee based on a current cost of $9.50 per kg weight after gloss firing.
- Collection of fired pieces: Please understand that our storage is extremely limited. Students will be notified via email when work is ready to be collected. Work will only be retained for one month following this notification unless other arrangements are made.
Regarding Kids Clay Club:
- It is your responsibility to clearly report in writing on the enrolment form, any illness or disability that may affect your child's involvement in the Clay Club activities.
- Please respect our teachers and be prompt to arrive and collect your children. Do not arrive more than 5 minutes early to class or leave your children more than 5 minutes later than the class end.
- Children are expected to be mature enough to work in a group together respecting everyone's needs and to be polite.