We understand that using your digital camera can be confusing and intimidating. We introduce you to your camera and teach you the meaning of the signs and symbols on the many buttons on your camera. You will gain confidence in handling your camera enabling you to create images using composition, easy win techniques and simple effects rather than taking snapshots. Learn to take control of your camera and make it a tool you can use to create extraordinary memories of your experiences.
We understand that learning about your digital cameras and its functionality can be a little daunting, but we won’t bombard you with loads of facts and information… As photographers, we very much value the ‘hands on approach’. We also keep the classes small which all add's to the interactive learning experience and ensures the best outcome for you.
This workshop is based 'in the field' where we combine theory with practical demonstrations and group exercises. The ‘journey’ begins with understanding your camera and learning how to navigate the controls and functions. We look at how your choice of lens can create a spectacular image including how to create effects like a shallow depth-of-field quickly and easily. Learn to use simple composition techniques to improve any image and how to be creative using shutter priority. Your tutor/s will explain in simple terms the relationship between aperture, shutter and ISO and how they work together to create the final image.
We look at colour balance and what it means. Learn how to produce different moods using the direction of light. We explain what to look for when looking for the ‘quality of light’. Understanding composition and the characteristics of light in your photography is invaluable in creating the right mood, feel and emotion.
With simple and easy methods, you will see results by the end of the workshop. You will be more confident in handling your camera and creating images that go beyond the 'snapshot'.
- Introduction to your camera
- Essential equipment
- How to select the right lens
- Aperture settings
- Shutter speed settings
- ISO settings
- Colour balance
- Manual mode settings
- Composition rules and tips
- Learn to ‘see’ with a photographic eye
- Light – the main ingredient and how it works
If it looks like there will be unbearable weather on the day, we will contact you early that morning to advise that the workshop will not operate. Otherwise, you should assume the workshop will operate as scheduled. In the event of a cancellation, you can select an alternative workshop date.
TIME: 9 AM to 1 PM (4 hours). Please arrive 15 minutes early so we can start the workshop on time. CLASS SIZE: Minimum 4 / Maximum 10 DAY OF OPERATION: Selected Sunday's
- Introduction to your camera
- Essential equipment
- How to select the right lens
- TUTORS: A professional photographer and a photographer's assistant (subject to group size).
- Detailed Aperture Club course notes will be emailed on completion of this photography workshop.
- Kits are available for hire if you want to experience the full functionality and excitement of using a professional photographers camera.
- Kits include a camera body and lens. The cost is $75. Kits are limited, so if interested, please book this when you book and confirm your workshop.
- A digital SLR camera, compact camera (with manual settings)
- Lens hood / cleaning cloth
- At least 1 Memory Card
- At least 1 set of spare batteries - fully charged
- Your camera manual
- Camera bag
- Drinks, meals / snacks
- Pubic transport / Parking
- A DSLR, or compact digital camera (that offers manual settings). This can include a Smartphone with the appropriate apps to control settings. Please make sure you bring the manual in case you need to use it.
Comfy walking shoes, Weather appropriate clothing, Sunscreen / hat
Vendor since 2015
The Aperture Club runs photography workshops and tours that allow you to develop your creativity, meet like-minded people and be part of an evolving exciting club with endless possibilities.
The Aperture Club is a social classroom of practical and interactive learning.
The various photography workshops, tours, day and weekend excursions are designed to create an environment that helps you think like a photographer, understand observation and learn to capture what you see.
Discover your passion or just becoming more knowledgeable with your camera.
Allow yourself to explore new techniques and to develop a new understanding of photography.
Being part of The Aperture Club also allows you to get away from regular life, spend uninterrupted time meeting new friends, identify your interests and enjoy the fun and adventure of photography.
We look forward to you growing with us…
Terms & Conditions
1). Registration and Payment
Full payment (and any associated extra’s and booking fees) must be paid in full at the time of booking to ensure your place on the photography workshop or special event.
2). Cancellation and Refund Policy
1. If a photography workshop or special event is cancelled by us, or re-scheduled due to bad weather or any other emergency you can re-book onto another scheduled date for the same workshop or special event. If no alternative date is available a refund will be provided and must be accepted a full and final settlement.
2. If you need to cancel a workshop or special event, this must be made in writing (email) and the following cancellations fees will apply;
a. If cancelled 15 days (or more) in advance of the workshop or special event date, the cancellation fee is 50%.
b. No refund is available if you cancel 14 days (or less) before the start date of the workshop or special event.
3. The Aperture Club is not responsible for any other costs which participants may incur including but not limited to travel, car rental, insurance, photographic purchases and/or rentals.
Through the course of the day, images of the group including individual participants may be taken and subsequently used for marketing of The Aperture Club. Please inform us prior to the photography workshop or special event if you prefer to be excluded from any images used to market The Aperture Club. Requests need to be made in writing (email) in advance of the workshop or special event start date.
4). Gift Vouchers – Conditions of Use
1. Gift vouchers are to be redeemed by person named on the voucher only and can be exchanged for any workshop or special event offered through The Aperture Club.
2. Gift vouchers can not be redeemable for cash.
3. Gift vouchers may be used as part or full payment for any workshop or special event. If the fees are more than the amount specified on the voucher the bearer of the voucher must pay the additional fees, being the difference between the value of the voucher and the total cost of the workshop or special event being booked. If the cost of the workshop or special event is less than the amount specified on the voucher, no refund is provided.
3. Gift Vouchers must be redeemed with 365 days of the date of purchase.
5). Workshop Schedule and Agenda
All photography workshops and special event schedules and plans are subject to change at our discretion depending upon, but not limited to, adverse weather, health and safety considerations, or any other factor as determined by us.
6). Limit of Liability
The Aperture Club; Sharon Hickey, Shane Rozario and Warren Smith accept no liability for death, illness, accident or injury or loss or damage to photo equipment or personal belongings during the course of any workshop or special event, or in transit thereto. We do not accept any responsibility for loss or additional expenses due to delay or changes in the services provided. We reserve the right to change our arrangements should conditions necessitate, or to cancel any aspect of the workshop or special event due to exceptional circumstances. The Aperture Club’s liability shall be limited to the total value of the workshop or special event. The Aperture Club is not liable for any indirect or consequential loss. By booking and paying for any workshop or special event offered by The Aperture Club, participants acknowledge that they are aware of the risks of personal injury and deem themselves physically capable of safely taking part in the workshop or special event. Further they release The Aperture Club, Sharon Hickey, Shane Rozario, Warren Smith, guest presenters, guest speakers, assistants, trainees and models from all liability for death, injury, illness, accident or loss of personal property or expenses associated with participation in the workshop or special event.
7). Your Agreement to this contract
In reserving a place on the photography workshop or special event and paying the appropriate fee/s, you agree to accept all of the above terms and conditions. The person who makes the booking does so on behalf of all of the individuals included in that booking; all are bound by the same terms and conditions.
For terms and conditions associated with a Meetup, please refer to the general ‘Terms and Conditions’ listed on the Meetup website, which you agreed to when you registered as a Member of Meetup.
Sydney Street Photography Adventure (The Urban Observer)Sun, 01 Apr 9:00AM